Mark Surratt

23 or 32

Hello,

I have a primo XL and I am looking to get either the 23 or 32 komodo . I do both low and slow and grilling for my wife and I. The 23 is probably what I should get but the 32 keeps calling me because of the looks and sheer size. Should I keep my primo and get the 23 or get the 32 and sell my promo xl?

Thank you in advance!

I stubbornly went for a 21 and 23 when I bought my first KKs.  A couple of years on, I finally bought a 32.  I wish I had bought it at the start.  My husband calls it the "multi-tool".  As others have said, the 32 is very versatile and will meet and exceed your expectations.  As for your Primo XL?  I would keep it to a) compare it with your KK and b) see if you find a use for it alongside your KK - good information for deciding whether to buy a second KK in the future!

• Like 1

Last March, I was also trying to decide between a 23” and a 32”.  I was leaning towards the smaller but my wife said go big.  What clinched it was speaking with Dennis and hearing that there was a 32” on the ship, available due to a cancellation.   I had been using a large BGE for about a dozen years; I sold it before the KK arrived in June and do not look back.

• Like 1

I also have a traeger pellet and of course the primo, my favorite of all of the smokers has been tha kamando style cooker, so that is what led me to  looking at the king of them being the KK. Not only do I think the food is better, I just enjoy cooking on that style cooker. I have a fireboard for my promo but I am finding it to not be that necessary to hold temp. Is anyone really using the temp controllers on your kk?

2 hours ago, Mark Surratt said:

Thank you all for the great input. Now that the 32 is settled....what accesories did you get, wish you had gotten and do not use much?Also, now comes the tile colors and shape. I was leaning toward the cobalt blue, not sure between the pebble and square.

When you come to your senses you'll pick pebbles. They cook better, looks better and cleanup better. :smt046

I know the KK is much better than the BGE and Primo....how would you rate the 2 as compared to cooking on the KK? I have had a few smokers, stumps gravity, Pit barrel cooker, smokey mountain Weber, kettle, kamando joe Jr. 

I came from 14 years on a BGE before getting the kk. I have not dialed in my cooking on the kk to the degree that everything I have done so far surpasses food I made on the egg… but my very first cook on my KK with no prior knowledge I cooked some of the best ribs I have ever cooked.

The pork butt and Al pastor I did last weekend was some of the best food as well. The bark on the butt was to die for. Effortless. No need to wrap your butts on the KK.

The KK is the pinnacle. You can make great food on all those other grills. But believe me when I tell you the KK superiority is evident on the very first cook.

FWIW I am not getting rid of my egg. It is where my love of kamado cooking started and is a good tool.

It is hard to make a fair rating. I would say the BGE is a Corvette Stingray and the KK is a Bugatti. Both have speed and generate exhilaration but one is pure handcrafted and specially engineered machinery at the very top of its craft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Mark Surratt said:

I heard for round pizza that the pebbles cooked better and for brisket flat to go tiles all the way. With all this free info from you guys if you  will pony up some $ then I could jump to the 42!!

I wish I would've known the pebble was better for pizza before I placed my order for square tiles.