AAAsh

Rotisserie Tips

Hi Folks,

I am planning to do a rotisserie tomorrow on my BB32. Generally when I use the rotisserie, I have my meat positioned over the side where there is no charcoal as I use a basket splitter. However, tomorrow I am doing a porchetta and it is too long. What would be the best approach?

Do I remove the splitter and just bank the coals up and the front and back? Or should I use some foil as a deflector?

Thanks,

Ash.

My opinion (I have a 23"), is to not use the foil deflector, as it kinda defeats the purpose of the rotisserie. I'd push most of the charcoal to the back of the basket, so the porchetta rotates in/out of the direct heat zone. In my 23", the charcoal basket is round, so with the splitter in it, I can easily go front or back or sideways.

• Like 2

My opinion (I have a 23"), is to not use the foil deflector, as it kinda defeats the purpose of the rotisserie. I'd push most of the charcoal to the back of the basket, so the porchetta rotates in/out of the direct heat zone. In my 23", the charcoal basket is round, so with the splitter in it, I can easily go front or back or sideways.

I second this. Since the 32 doesn’t let you do the same with the basket splitter, the last couple of times I’ve used the roto, I’ve used foil to “act” as a front to back basket splitter. The charcoal will pretty much stay in place on the back without the foil, but I use the foil to keep the airflow blocked in the area the charcoal is not so that it travels through where I want it instead of where there is no fire. It’s not perfect or as nice as the basket splitter, but it does a decent enough job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

AAAsh spit roast porchetta on the KK is superb.
Here are my tips.
1. Charcoal to front rather back- this heats the KK wall more evenly given the position of the flu is towards the rear.
2. Place the lowest grill over the charcoal to rest a drip tray on towards the end of the cook.
3. Keep the the temperature low- medium to reduce flare ups.
4. Half way through the cook if there are flare ups, place a small drip tray on the bottom grate to catch the fat and reduce flare ups. This can remain for the rest of the cook.

Enjoy….. I’m very envious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As always there are many different ways to cook something and most will return great results in a KK :) 

This is how i cook porchetta in the BB32

1. Pat dry before seasoning
  2. Baking powder in the seasoning to help crisp
  3. Let sit in fridge wrapped in pink butcher paper 10 to 12 hours to draw moisture out after seasoning
  4. Direct on rotisserie
  5. Add drip tray 20 to 30 minutes in, or once it flares up
  6. 385 degrees until 115 degrees internal temp
  7. Then raise temp to 500 for 20 minutes to crisp
  8. The internal temp will carry over to 145 or so while crisping

IMG_0330.jpeg

• Like 11

Thank folks. I cooked at 300f for a few hours until internal was 160f. Then cranked up the temp to 500f but still couldn’t get the crackling to form. Hit is with my MAPP touch and it came up fine, but I feel that was kind of cheating.

Overall, it tasted great. 

Here a few pics when it first went on. Forgot to get any from the final, due to a few too many beers :-)

4D262A93-016D-4546-A499-39152D218E5C.jpeg

978C84CD-D535-48C3-8A2C-8BAA52F7560F.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tony b said:

@Cheesehead_Griller - I'm not sure why you'd want to use both? I don't know of any advantage of doing that? As MacKenzie said, each have their advantages. I use both myself. 

How would you put a bunch of deboned chicken thighs in a cradle to make Shawarma? Instead, I thought I could put them on a spit and then secure that in the cradle. Am I off base? I ordered the cradle and not the spit so I'm pondering how I can make it work in a variety of situations. I thought I'd ask to see what others have done. 

21 hours ago, Cheesehead_Griller said:

How would you put a bunch of deboned chicken thighs in a cradle to make Shawarma? Instead, I thought I could put them on a spit and then secure that in the cradle. Am I off base? I ordered the cradle and not the spit so I'm pondering how I can make it work in a variety of situations. I thought I'd ask to see what others have done. 

MacKenzie's suggestion is a good one for doing shawarma and similar styles of cooking.

I think that I understand what you are contemplating? If you put the chicken thighs on short wooden skewer(s), you could put them in the basket and spin them. Worth a try. 

hi @Cheesehead_Griller

Chicken shawarma on a vertical spike

Chicken shawarma on a rotisserie spit

I have found it much easier to use the vertical spike.  Manoeuvering a container under the rotisserie rod and cutting away over the fire is not quite as easy.  

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 5

planning to use my new roti I got for christmas on the 42 tonight.  Got 2 chickens trussed, rubbed, and air drying in the fridge.  Just need to figure out how to put this thing on my kk.  QQ do I need to take my side tables off to put the roti on?  I figure I need to do it on one side, but maybe only one time b/c I need to get the bracket for the roti motor on, but my guess is the side table bracket and the roti bracket can stay on there together indefinitely.  anyway.  I'll figure it out but any help/advice anyone has would be awesome