jeffshoaf

Solidteknics flame pan

I've been eyeballing Solidteknics pans for a while but couldn't justify getting any since i have a nice set of stainless clad pans. Back in May, they introduced a new size "flaming" pan with holes to let smoke through as part of their newish quenched line, selling via their normal Kickstarter routine and i bit. You could also get a matching solid pan for a discounted price if you bought at the same timeb do i ordered both. After a lot of delays, mine was delivered yesterday.

I haven't used them yet but they're purty! I planned on dedicating then to grill and smoking duties but may give 'em a try on the stove.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, C6Bill said:

I'm thinking that could be good for fish ?

I was thinking veggies, shrimp, and other small things that tend to fall thru the grates but fish is a thought. I've never had good luck coming fish and generally prefer to have it battered and fried but I have been thinking about smoking some - even watched a few YouTube videos the last few days. I've tried grilling fish on the gas grill and I didn't care for the result but a bit of wood smoke and/or charcoal flavor might make the difference for me.

• Like 1

Solidteknics started in Australia with made-in Australia pans using Australian iron and then added stainless steel pans, then started an American branch making pans in America using American iron and steel. The Australia branch recently added woks; I got an email today indicating they're getting ready to introduce American-made woks via Kickstarter.

They generally introduce new products on Kickstarter before general availability. Of course, you may have to wait months for the Kickstarter items ship. I'm generally wary of Kickstarter but Solidteknics has followed the same process since they got started and have reliably fulfilled Kickstarter orders but they do often miss their ship dates (my pans were delayed 3 or 4 time).  Once the Kickstarter is over and they begin regular production on an item and show it as in-stock on their website, they do seem to be reliable.

I used the unperforated pan for french toast on my induction cooktop after doing a round of stovetop seasoning sand it performed well - very non-stick and heated evenly. Much lighter than cast iron and a bit lighter than my Williams-Sonoma clad stainless pan of the same size. 

• Like 2

I had a hankering for something similar when someone posted a pic on the forum a couple of years ago.  Finally got my brother to bring this over to the UK from Texas for me this summer but I have not tried it yet.  Similar concept but probably heavier, given it is cast iron. 

Lodge L15RCGT 15"x12" Cast Iron Grill Topper, Black
More information: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0971NXQNM/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_EBRPC6QSJQ04WRKKZDHA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

I have something very similar to @Poochie's grill pan (great mind, eh, bro!)

I have also used Frog Mats for veggies and shrimp. Their only downside is they should not be subjected to direct flames or very high heat. 

https://www.amazon.com/Frogmats-Non-Stick-Grill-Mat/dp/B00LBH7TZK

Grill Mats are good, too. They take higher heat. They are solid mats (no holes), so a bit different style. I like them for saucing items, as the sauce/glaze doesn't run through the holes.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KUJCH66

Edited by tony b
  • Like 2

I also have a stainless grill topper that's similar to Poochie's  as well - got it at academy sports when I was picking up some charcoal. A happy accident: I bent the handles down a bit and it's almost a perfect fit for the grate frames on my Santa Maria grill.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/outdoor-gourmet-stainless-steel-grill-topper?sku=silver

On 12/18/2021 at 1:07 PM, jeffshoaf said:

I've been eyeballing Solidteknics pans for a while but couldn't justify getting any since i have a nice set of stainless clad pans. Back in May, they introduced a new size "flaming" pan with holes to let smoke through as part of their newish quenched line, selling via their normal Kickstarter routine and i bit. You could also get a matching solid pan for a discounted price if you bought at the same timeb do i ordered both. After a lot of delays, mine was delivered yesterday.

I haven't used them yet but they're purty! I planned on dedicating then to grill and smoking duties but may give 'em a try on the stove.

Are these the “quenched” pans or unseasoned?

2 hours ago, Poochie said:

Have you used it yet and if so, how did you like it?

I used the non-perforated pan too fry some sausage and eggs; the sausage fried up fine but the eggs stuck a bit but I think that was due to not letting the pan get hot enough after washing it post sausage,  They recommend bringing the temp up slowly and I needed to either wait a bit longer or bring the heat up faster The egg remnants cleaned right off with water.

I used the flaming pan (that's the perforated one) on the KK to wilt some mixed greens last week when I smoked a small dry aged ribeye roast; it did fine with this admittedly easy task. I think I included a pic in the Miscellaneous cooks thread. I'm not sure when I'll do a more demanding cook with it; my mother had a pretty bad case of COVID-19 and, since we were afraid she was going to have to go to the hospital at any time, I didn't want to start something that I might have to abandon mid-cook. I ate on a pretty big smoked ham I bought at the grocery store for over a week! Fortunately, she's mostly fully recovered now without a trip to the ER other than some lingering brain fog.

• Like 3

I bought a Solidteknics pan a few years ago.. had some kind of gold finish on it.. The first issue I had was how thin and cheap feeling it was then the gold color started to come off and I gave it away.. I like my pans to have heft to them.. at least the bottom. This was stamped out of thin sheet.. I'll stick with my lodge pans..

• Like 1