EricG

32” KK temp differential at each grate

I’m considering ordering a 32” KK but have only read about them.  I’ve been a LG BGE smoker for about 10yrs and have been wanting a larger Komodo style smoker for some time.  I’ve seen Dennis’ post on Dome vs lower grate but that data starts pretty high and shows a 90F temp differential between dome and lower grate and only widens as the temps climb.

Does anyone have the data for a 250F low and slow on the lower, main, upper cooking levels? I would assume no more than +/- 25F if using a BBQGURU on the main grate but any data anyone has would be good to understand. 

Thanks all - Eric 

I’m considering ordering a 32” KK but have only read about them.  I’ve been a LG BGE smoker for about 10yrs and have been wanting a larger Komodo style smoker for some time.  I’ve seen Dennis’ post on Dome vs lower grate but that data starts pretty high and shows a 90F temp differential between dome and lower grate and only widens as the temps climb.
Does anyone have the data for a 250F low and slow on the lower, main, upper cooking levels? I would assume no more than +/- 25F if using a BBQGURU on the main grate but any data anyone has would be good to understand. 

Thanks all - Eric 

I have a 42 kk and on my last cook of 5 pork butts at 225 on the main grate with my thermoworks billows, the thermometer at the grate was 225 obviously and dome was about 275.

This may be the opposite of what you were expecting. On my egg I feel like the dome is lower than the grate temp. On the kk this is certainly going to be true for the lower grate right over the fire but for me cooking indirect on the main grate, the dome always registers higher than the grate.

Like c6Bill I do not often do multi-level cooks. I will keep you posted. One day I will do 10 or 12 pork butts and use 2 levels low and slow.

I did rotisserie chicken this weekend. The MEATER being so close to the meat showed a huge differential in ambient vs the dome at first, meater registering in the 200s, but toward the end it was dome at about 375, MEATER ambient at about 325 - 345. I had two of them going and one was closer to fire than the other. At these medium-high temps a thermometer on the grate usually gets even closer than that. If dome is 375 sometimes main grate is more like 350 for me after some time.

What I have found with the kk is that the longer you keep the lid closed the more the temps converge over time. Heat soak your kk well before starting to cook.

I came from a large BGE. Kk far superior in many ways- no regrets. I used my egg yesterday in the rain though. The old friend still does it’s job. It is not that I won’t cook with the kk in the rain, it is that it was going to continue to rain some today and my kk is not underneath a shelter. If it will be done raining before my cook is done so that the heat from the fire keeps the kk dry, I will use it in the rain. Also I just got my kk 3 months ago. Still probably over protective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4