Tyrus

Say it ain't so, Ty

I recently purchased a Weber Summit kamado and officially, it wasn't for myself, but as a gift. Yah see, my two daughters with their husbands do occasionally cook outside and so I offered them both this grill to begin their BBQ journey, with the idea if this worked out they could graduate to a KK on their own. One daughter dismissed the idea and held pat with an older kamado I had given them earlier in the year and instead left the house with my mid-century 39 bottle wine rack. The other stated that she would like my 23" KK and all the fixings. When I reminded her I was still alive and breathing,.. she opted for curtain #2, a Primo grill with a custom table. So I gave them the grill, however this left an open space that had to be filled. I could have gone with another KK, but the Summit kamado had some unique features that were hard to ignore and being one whom always was on the lookout for an addition,.. well, I couldn't pass it up. The Kamado is made of metal having two layers separated by an 1" air space. That said, it's much lighter than any ceramic at 120 lbs and will release temp more readily if you overshot your cooking temp. It has some options that allow for splitting it's 24" circumference into a two zone and it's quick and easy from going from one type of cook to another. The lower vent setting acts as a sweeping clean out, dropping your unwanted ashes away into a catch pan. The metal is porcelain coated, much better than paint and the outside remains cool enough so that you don't burn yourself.  It has a diffuser plate for low and slow with adjustments for 3 cooking heights in regards to coal placement. It holds temp quite well, has a port for a Digi Q if your one to use them and allows you the option of using lump or briquette.

I know the quality of this will never approach that of a KK, and because of this it's longevity is a bit suspect, but it about does it all and can be maneuvered to spots in the yard where the KK is inaccessible. I like having options, heck, when you go to a restaurant, do you always order the same thing? Of course not, you like selection. So I've done a few cooks on the cooker and find it performs well, the KK is better, but my gun is fully loaded now after losing a bullet. Just ask Ckreef, having a fully loaded back yard makes you sleep better at night. The world my friend is a frightful place, if a war ever broke out and I had to pack up and leave in a hurry I'd have to leave my KK behind,...he's got a weight problem. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

DSCF3664.JPG

DSCF3667.JPG

DSCF3675.JPG

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 3

I have one of those and have had it for about 2 years. It's a first class piece of equipment. If any part fails within 10 years, Weber will send the part to you free. I can load it up and do an overnight brisket cook and have plenty charcoal left when the cook is done. The original ones had an ignitor on them and it was pretty worthless. That's why yours doesn't have one.  It basically sandwiches air between two layers of steel.  It's a  super deluxe version of the Akorn which is also air insulated.  I'm using it until my 32" KK arrives.  I'm starting to think the Titanic has my smoker.  It's due to dock on the 9th of January. That changes every 5 to 7 days.  Anyway, enjoy that Weber. It's a very capable machine. 

• Like 1

Ya know Poochie, I just like to mix it up, cook on one and then go to another, it keeps the world interesting, yet they're all rewarding in one way or another. That kamado is ready to go in 10 minutes and sometime, that's a must, anyhow I'm thinking a 32 with a true split zone and cruise control just sitting off shore must be ache'n on your back side. Don't you fret now, the ship is coming in and soon we'll be expecting some pictures to go along with all those expectations. Keep the faith 

• Like 1

Nothing to do but wait. The shipping industry is so messed up right now it's affecting everyone.  Dennis gets them on a ship and then it's really out of his hands until the ship docks. The storage at the dock is like stuffing a 600 pound gal into the rocket seat on Space Mountain.  Or guy if you gals got offended! Lots of packages and little storage room because they're not moving the stock out and getting it to customers.  Which all means I'll be waiting on my smoker and hope it gets here before Valentine's Day.  That way I can cook something nice for my wife who has been listening to my belly aching about it. I even feel sorry for her. Almost enough to stop bitching about it!

• Sad 1