Mark Surratt

Hi from N.Carolina

I just ordered a big bad 32!!!!

Looking forward to chatting with everyone here. Definitely going to get the splitter, how often do you use the rotisserie basket, I have never used one and not quite sure if it is something I would use much. I have been smoking meats for several years with differant types of smokers. Stumps gravity, Weber bullet, PBC, Traeger pellet and currently Kamando joe& Promo XL.

Thank You,

Mark

I have the 23 Ultimate, the 32 does quite a bit more begrudgingly, the added space gives you that advantage.  Once you receive your grill, & open the package you'll realize the quality of your purchase. A rotisserie on a grill is hypnotic/relaxing/an advantage since you don't have to turn the meat. It makes life easier, and although you may not use it every day it's there when you need it/want it.  Good decision Mark, one you won't regret.

• Like 1

I agree with Tyrus. Get the accessories you THINK you need or want now. Cry once and enjoy all the goodies instead of wishing you would have splurged a little bit more later. The rotisserie is well thought out and works like a charm. Basket splitter too. The shelves are handy on every single cook. Think of the pizza stone as a bread stone too. It's a hefty 42 pounds for the 32". But since you have experience with the Primo and Kamado Joe, I'm sure you know what you'd use more often. Good luck on your selection.  Oh yeah, you forgot to tell us the what color and tiles or pebbles. 

• Like 1

Yes, I am going to have to explore this rotisserie basket cooking deal, I will look for ideas in the cooking/ recipe forum.

I ordered the cobalt blue in pebbles....I kept reading that the pebbles cooked food better and the lump would last longer!

What lump do you recommend when having to buy local...I have been using big block and jealous devil. I used red oak for a long time,  but it burns up much quicker.

Thank you

Mark

• Haha 1

I have the rotisserie spit and the basket, I’ve only used the basket twice but it was really handy for cooking a large piece of meat. And just get the bigger of the two moters that way you’ll never need more power :) 

I have a 32 and I can assure you, tiles cook much better food then those silly pebbles. You have to keep in mind that pebbles are simply broken tiles. And as far as lump goes you’ll get different answers from everyone but the best advice I can offer is just get the best you have available local. In my case I have my local Ace Hardware get me wicked local or Rockwood if wicked isn’t available. Anyways welcome to the obsession  😁

Edited by C6Bill

Ha! Ha! Yes, I just wanted to join the pebble/ tile fun...I just have a thing about square and straight lines, I think it started in my yard/landscape designing! I was thinking about the spit vs. basket or both, in think I would use the spit more. Thanks for the larger motor idea, I was going to just irder the smaller one.

3 hours ago, C6Bill said:

keep in mind that pebbles are simply broken tiles.

Funny you mention that, a few years back I wrote a piece here somewhere lost to the archives explaining the difference and history related to this choice. Yah see a few years ago and unbeknownst to Dennis I hooked a ride on Bali Airlines, 3rd class with the luggage, it was kind of a clandestine mission. I arrived on the island and observed the plant from a distance. What I discovered regarding the tile/pebble dilemma would amaze you, a factory secret which should only should be shared between you and me. Yes, the tiles as C6Bill has stated were broken tiles refurbished on a grinding wheel and incorporated into a new line. Now don't mention any of this to a pebble owner, they'll just say "that's just horseradish," and try and change  the subject.  Don't be dissuaded, follow your own path...I have the blue denim, only because I have always liked faded jeans. Get the Roto, Dennis will make you an "offer" you can't refuse.

Edited by Tyrus

All those charcoals are good. I just got another bag of Big Block. I also like Jealous Devil. Wish that I could get Weekend Warrior here, as it used to be my go-to back in the day. Rockwood is decent stuff, too. Lots of fans of FOGO here, too. I like their more exotic woods over the basic quebracho. 

I have a 23" and use my rotisserie quite a bit - I have the KK basket, spit rod/forks and a smaller rectangular basket that uses the spit rod. 

2nd @Poochie's suggestion to get the pizza stone. 

Consider the cold smoker attachment, as well.

I know this won't be popular because it doesn't cost more than the meat you're cooking, but I've had nothing but good luck with this stuff.  It'll burn evenly and slowly.  All natural is the key. I've been using it for a long time. My other favorite is Weber Charcoal. Super good stuff. 

5e6aa3fd-0fad-4d7f-89b0-f4ea3ab183e0.de10f3faa969e3ef895c6cbe9d306f31.jpeg

20 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Funny you mention that, a few years back I wrote a piece here somewhere lost to the archives explaining the difference and history related to this choice. Yah see a few years ago and unbeknownst to Dennis I hooked a ride on Bali Airlines, 3rd class with the luggage, it was kind of a clandestine mission. I arrived on the island and observed the plant from a distance. What I discovered regarding the tile/pebble dilemma would amaze you, a factory secret which should only should be shared between you and me. Yes, the tiles as C6Bill has stated were broken tiles refurbished on a grinding wheel and incorporated into a new line. Now don't mention any of this to a pebble owner, they'll just say "that's just horseradish," and try and change  the subject.  Don't be dissuaded, follow your own path...I have the blue denim, only because I have always liked faded jeans. Get the Roto, Dennis will make you an "offer" you can't refuse.

That's just horseradish.  Now let's talk about the Saints. 

• Haha 2

@Poochie Who Dat!

I've never seen this Royal Oak before, so not judging (even if it's briquettes). The "regular" stuff in the red bag is total crap! Scrap lumber pieces mostly. Burns up super fast. And you worry if it's been treated or not? 

My thoughts - if you've spent the $$ on the KK, why in God's name would you use cheap-ass charcoal in it? 

• Like 1

This Royal Oak isn't cheap ass charcoal. It says right on the bag...100% all natural hardwood lump briquettes. That means no filler or other crap in it.  I've used it for at least 6 years and never had any problems with it.  There are some crumbs at the bottom but I'm sure that your $3 a pound charcoal has crumbs on the bottom of the bag too.  I paid a lot for my Komodo so I should pay a lot for my charcoal.  My smoke wood should be imported expensive stuff from very far away too.  We all know a hickory tree branch that fell isn't worthy.

Speaking of great all natural lump charcoal briquettes, Weber makes a wonderful product.  It's $20 a bag for 20 pounds. It's on sale now at TruValue stores for $7.99 a bag. I won't buy it because my KK cost so much. 

Lord have mercy. And to think that Tony is one of the smartest engineers in the country!

• Sad 1

Home Depot or Wally World should have it. I agree about the red bag Royal Oak lump. It's pretty good but too many unusable pieces.  It's what Big Green Egg lump is. Royal Oak has been making it for them. But give the briquettes a try.  You'll be hard pressed to find something wrong with them.  Sorry I got carried away earlier. 

Edited by Poochie
  • Like 1

I only pay a little over $1 a pound for my Wicked Good lump and with how little the KK uses it is worth every penny. Ace has the 20 pound bags for $23.99 and I usually have a $10 off $100 coupon around and that makes it even more betterer :)

Edited by C6Bill

On 1/1/2022 at 7:19 PM, Poochie said:

I know this won't be popular because it doesn't cost more than the meat you're cooking, but I've had nothing but good luck with this stuff.  It'll burn evenly and slowly.  All natural is the key. I've been using it for a long time. My other favorite is Weber Charcoal. Super good stuff. 

I like Royal Oak.  "Big Green Egg" brand is just royal oak re-branded.  And Royal Oak is a consistent product unlike other less expensive charcoals.  The Naked Whiz has it rated pretty well. 

To me it does not have a very strong flavor like some other higher end lumps that impart a lot of "extra" flavor that some people do not like.  I have home depot credit card, and when they send me the 10% off offer every couple of months I load up on royal oak. It's my go-to.  With the 42" kk, if I'm worried about the charcoal lasting long enough I just fill up a whole firebox which will last a couple of days regardless of what kind of charcoal I buy.

If I am up for going a little more expensive, my favorite since I can no longer get weekend warrior locally, is Fogo "the black bag".  My butcher carries it and I think it's a good value.

I do have to say though, when dennis starts to ship charcoal again by whatever means, I want some more coffeechar.  That stuff is great.  and I want to try the coco char.