Tyrus

Dice and Slice

I'm not sure if anyone's presented a meat slicer for review or the reasoning behind the purchase. What brought me around to making this purchase started first with an idea of a tall thinly sliced roast beef sandwich with lettuce, tomato and mayo on rye. From there this Beswood Model 250 ended up on my doorstep lookin for a home. Now this kitchen appliance isn't a daily user nor does it fit on the counter to stay, but it will slice all your meats efficiently, quietly and nicely whenever you have a mind to do something with intention. I have it in mind for marinated roasts of pork, beef and lamb and possibly some turkey and chicken breasts with the purpose in mind to shrink wrap for storage. Also, bacon and even cuts for beef jerky came to mind as another thought. Along with this I ordered some meats from Porter Road, I think they're in Tennessee, two bottom round roasts and a top round. I've always noticed here others purchasing on occasion their meats on line, something I was always was reluctant to do, reason being is seeing and touching what's in front of me has been my choice vs a picture on the computer screen. Well, I finally pulled the trigger and considering a little wait around Xmas, the package arrived and I found myself pleasantly surprised with the quality. Whomever packed the box inadvertently tossed in another 6lb top round....Merry Xmas. So thanks, with reluctance and the constant exposure hereI finally came around and broke the mold.

So it does what a slicer does, evenly cuts cheese, meats, veggies or breads with precision. It works quietly with a belt drive and effortlessly along a gliding track, what more could you ask for. So the deed was done and I gave it a try, the sandwich was yummy. It has the Tyrus stamp of approval, whatever that's worth...I like it, watch them pinky's though if you are ever of a mind to buy one or similar. 

DSCF3683.JPG

DSCF3658.JPG

DSCF3660.JPG

DSCF3661.JPG

• Like 10

13 hours ago, Tyrus said:

From there this Beswood Model 250 ended up on my doorstep lookin for a home.

Isn't that always the way? 🤗

I agree, having a slicer means that you can buy hunks of cured meat or make bacon and get it sliced exactly to your liking.  I love ours but feel we do not get as much use out of it as we should.  The fact that it does not fit on the counter means that it is not easily accessible and cleaning it up after each use is a bit of a bind.  That said, having my irregular shaped loaves sliced and tamed by this machine makes them look almost professional and that can't be bad.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tekobo said:

I love ours but feel we do not get as much use

It's there when you need it Tekebo, that's what counts, and although it's large weighing in at 31 lbs as yours might be, I've seen pics of your ginormous home....and have to believe you found a spot just for it amongst one of those many rooms. Mine has been relegated to a shelf in the garage to sit patiently waiting for duty to call. I hope and pray that on that crucial day I pull it from it's resting place for a bonanza cook of multiple items expecting it to perform it's magic magnificently. As a cost effective appreciation I gave some thought to comparing a new Japanese knife against the slicer, another knife on the wall amongst many didn't scratch my itch. So enjoy, and go Pat's as they stumble into the playoffs. Geeesh!

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, C6Bill said:

i would also love to keep all 10 fingers for life

Especially if your still plucking that guitar Mr Bonamassa! AHH, if I can do it you can do it, simple as learning your ABC's.

9 hours ago, Syzygies said:

I want a Berkel! I would, except for storing and cleaning.

I want one too.  I also wanted to fly in space recently, but William Shatner took my spot. It's a beauty and for north of 14K it should sing a whole opera while slicing your meat. If it's any consolation, the Beswood has it's 10 inch blade manufactured in Italy so that might put me in the ball park, hopefully near the concession stand where they sell the beer. Thanks Syzygies

• Haha 4

We had one and it did exactly what we wanted it to do. Slice meat thin for great layered sandwiches. That being said, and these have been mentioned, we hated it as much as an uninvited mother-in-law.  It's big, heavy, won't fit anywhere convenient, and worst of all was cleaning it. Just putting fingers near the blade to clean it gave me the willies.  I've learned to appreciate a sharp knife. You can't carve the meat as thin or as even, but when I'm stuffing my neck with a sandwich,   I discovered that I didn't care.  Everyone that has one, enjoy it. I gave mine away. 

• Like 2

Sorry to hear that Pooch. I've often said that when I give something away, rest assured the following day I find a need for it and then I'm wondering, "why did I do that".  Let's see, I've cut myself countless times over the years, often needing stiches in some instances using a knife, and so far not so with the slicer. (got the cut resistant gloves) You could say I've given more blood this way than to the Red Cross. It's daunting, cumbersome and a challenge to move, but it does what, at least for me, a safe and comfortable process for cutting up large bundles. I got a spot for it, I'm still brawny enough to handle it, and a bit safer for this guy that's got all day, everyday to clean up the mess. (retired, but not dead) I do appreciate the other side of the street point of view, it gives those a chance to look at the negative possibilities, it's not for everyone but it'll be slicing for someone long after this po' boy cuts his last slice. Thanks Poochie 

Edited by Tyrus

19 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Sorry to hear that Pooch. I've often said that when I give something away, rest assured the following day I find a need for it and then I'm wondering, "why did I do that".  Let's see, I've cut myself countless times over the years, often needing stiches in some instances using a knife, and so far not so with the slicer. (got the cut resistant gloves) You could say I've given more blood this way than to the Red Cross. It's daunting, cumbersome and a challenge to move, but it does what, at least for me, a safe and comfortable process for cutting up large bundles. I got a spot for it, I'm still brawny enough to handle it, and a bit safer for this guy that's got all day, everyday to clean up the mess. (retired, but not dead) I do appreciate the other side of the street point of view, it gives those a chance to look at the negative possibilities, it's not for everyone but it'll be slicing for someone long after this po' boy cuts his last slice. Thanks Poochie 

I didn't mean to put the stink face on the slicer. I'm sure there are 50 people happy with them to my one unhappiness.  I loved what it did, just not the cleaning and fear factor. Slice away Tyrus and just ignore my bitching. And stop giving away blood for free.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 4:42 AM, Syzygies said:

want a Berkel!

I wanted one too.  It was a beautiful red one on a stand in a cheese shop in Brighton.  We soon tempered our expectations when we investigated the pricing.  That said, we are off on a road trip to Italy later this year.  You never know, a beautiful bargain may await.

On 1/13/2022 at 9:36 PM, tony b said:

Another @Syzygies rabbit hole that I will not be following him down! For that kind of $$, I can hire someone to slice the meat for me!

Ha ha.  I think the guy or gal in the deli can do that job pretty well without you having to shell out at all!

• Like 3

So, I'm struggling to pull myself out of the "meat slicer" rabbit hole. I need help!! We have two children (5 & 2), so we go through a lot of meat and will only go through more in the future. I recently bought a vac sealer and sous vide. Both have been a great addition. With our 5 year-old in school we are going through a lot of lunch meat. I've been thinking a meat slicer would be a nice addition to the kitchen. I've thought about making our own lunch meat along with a variety of other uses. 

My main concern is cleaning. I was thinking of either a 10" or 12" unit. I'm open to paying up a bit to get a unit that's easy to clean. I've looked at the Beswood, Avantco, Hobart, etc.  Based on the info above, meat slicers don't get much love. 

@TyrusHow are you liking your Beswood? Do you have any regrets?