johnnymnemonic

Moisture

If you ever questioned the moisture retention of a KK I have proof. Condensation dripping out the bottom of my KK about 2 hrs into my cook of a couple of chuck roasts at 275 using the billows. Will post addl pics in the misc everyday cooks section later. Anyway see that puddle? Water dripping out of the kk. I have drip pans solidly under the food so I know it isn’t fat.b0741eadde0762e8a4e43d5f91ee7e9e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Looks like the meat sweats to me. I get this sometimes. Only during a low and slow with the added wood smoke. And more often in winter when it is cold and I’m not using it as frequently. I think it just happens from the added condensation caused from the smoke not having anywhere to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's "normal" to see some moisture leaking out the vent door. Doesn't happen all the time, but don't freak out if you see it. 

16 hours ago, Cheesehead_Griller said:

Does a KK ever crack due to moisture retention and expansion when it gets cold? 

Only if you don't maintain your grout. Check your KK periodically for small cracks in the grout and repair them. Internal moisture from a cook is never a problem. On the other hand, don't ever let the inside of your KK get very wet (a rarity) - not good for it. Requires another venting procedure. 

19 hours ago, Cheesehead_Griller said:

Does a KK ever crack due to moisture retention and expansion when it gets cold? 

Cold is not an issue but freezing temps absolutely can be a problem.. Which is why I always push any customer in those areas that drop below zero to use a cover.. Repetitive freeze thaw cycles are a nightmare for anything with nooks and crannies.  Water is 9% larger when frozen and incredibly destructive.. Remember this action takes down a granite mountain..  
But moisture in the body from humidity is not a problem.
And remember that there is a lot of evaporation from your meat which often condenses and drips down the inside of the grill.. look on the ceiling of your grill during a large volume cook and it will be full of water drops. These are what I think is rolling out your draft door.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, johnnymnemonic said:

If you ever questioned the moisture retention of a KK I have proof. Condensation dripping out the bottom of my KK about 2 hrs into my cook of a couple of chuck roasts at 275 using the billows. Will post addl pics in the misc everyday cooks section later. Anyway see that puddle? Water dripping out of the kk. I have drip pans solidly under the food so I know it isn’t fat.

Once your grill is out.. I suggest you store you grill with the top vent open a turn or so to let it breathe.  If I don't crack mine here the inside also gets completely furry with mold from the moisture.. no problem if cracked. 

Remember the oil patina on the inside of your grill protects it from moisture also.. this is why I no longer suggest people try to burn their grills clean. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/16/2022 at 1:45 PM, DennisLinkletter said:

Remember the oil patina on the inside of your grill protects it from moisture also.. this is why I no longer suggest people try to burn their grills clean. 

I learned this with my green egg a long time ago.  If you burn it off, then the ceramics / refractory cement / whatever you've got becomes like a sponge for moisture.   With my egg in the humidity I would notice on high temp cooks that water was boiling out of my ceramics and one time there was a gas explosion out from under the paint that took a chunk of paint off.  From that point forward I quit burning the egg at high temps to burn stuff off and let that patina build up.  I no longer had any issue with excess moisture in the ceramics.  I also keep it covered.  Anyway I have commuted all of this to the KK - I will burn at high tems to cook a pizza but I will not leave it going for hours b/c if you do have moisture buildup it has to go somewhere.  Sure we have extra grout to fix venting, etc but don't force it to happen!

Edited by johnnymnemonic