David Chang

new user questions for the 19

hello. i have in my office a 19 and will move it to my home next week. i just have a few questions if anyone here can answer. thanks.

1. there are handles on the sides of the this grill. are these handles cosmetic or will they be strong enough to carry the grill up stairs? i will remove the top dome prior to moving.

2. i managed to loosen some tile near the back hinge area. should i apply grout now or after i cure the grill? 

3. during this curing at 500f, can i bake something or will the solvent burnoff not be good.

4. is the fire ring removable?

5. is it advisable to apply teak oil to the wood shelves prior to placing outdoors?

6. will this thermometer work on my grill? are there any others that will work that have larger dials?

https://www.teltru.com/product/272/big-green-egg-primo-komodo-grill-dome-or-other-kamado-style-replacement-thermometer-lt225r-5-inch-stem-2001000-degrees-f

thank you all.

Put the tiles on prior to the cure, I would say they have to be treated also. It's safe to cook, it doesn't affect the food while it's venting on the outside. If your referring to the basket refractory housing it will be ok to adjust to reseat them if they moved in shipping, however don't touch them afterwards, there won't be a need and they have a tendency to lock in place, attempting to  readjust later could cause damage. Placing oil on wood is always advisable, it's a good thing, prevents cracking and helps to keep the wood looking good from the sun stress. Place on, let it sit for a time and wipe off the excess.

• Like 2

Don't lift the unit by the handles, lid or no lid. Be aware when the lid is removed and reinstalled, there is an alignment procedure in order to maintain a good seal. If you can, don't remove it. Once it's been fired, the firebox shouldn't be removed. It can develop cracks due to intense heat. They'll never ever be an issue otherwise.
J.

Sent from my SM-G998W using Tapatalk

• Like 1

some more insight on moving this grill. i need to put it on a roof through a flight of narrow stairs. this space is big enough for just two people. in preparation, i have straps for lifting garden planters that are rated up to 350lbs. looking at the 19 specs, the dome and bottom half weighs 282lbs combined. will do a test lift, and if manageable, i may not need to take the dome off. 

image.png.6eee240be483f35b71e7e1549e92f266.png

Do not go by weight alone. Yes it may be under 300 lbs but it is weildy beast and IMHO, no way two people will be able to move it up the staircase as described/depicted.

My 23" with four solid men up eight stairs on my deck wasn't as easy as it sounds. They're heavy and cumbersome.

My friend is a tool maker and has some heavy straps. Wrapped those around the legs and base used a few 2x4's and looped the straps around them. One man on each end of the 2x4 (vertically oriented with moving blankets between them and body) and another guy steadying the unit by the tophat. Sorry no pics so I hope the explanation helps.

Is it possible to rent a scissor lift and get it to the roof that way?

J.

Sent from my SM-G998W using Tapatalk

if mechanically assisted, a cherry picker is too small. i would need to hire a crane and that's too much for me. because it's a rental and i have to traverse over a neighbors rooftop as well.

i think if too overwhelming, i'll take off the dome, and hang 2x4's over the loops and hang the weight on our shoulders. 

it's already off the crate. because i want to keep the packaging in my office and i don't have the space to unpack it at home.

Edited by David Chang

I have a 19" but can only answer a few questions:

1.  I have lifted it a handful of times using the handles, and they work.  They can definitely support the weight of the grill.  That said, they are thin and having that much pressure on a small surface area where it touches your hands - I wouldn't do that for a lift up stairs.  You are bound to have trouble.  It will be heavy and hard to control with such small handles.  It is also hard to hold it with two hands.  As others have mentioned, even the 19" is heavy.  I have taken off the dome before and the racks. Even still, the main body is a non-trivial lift for 2 people.   Maybe you could do it 1 step at a time, resting it on the steps along the way.  I wouldn't guess that 2 people could carry it up the stairs in one continuous lift unless they are powerlifters.  If you bring it up stairs, make sure wherever you put it is structurally rated for the weight.  The KK with a few people standing around it is a lot of weight for certain structures.  

4.  I have removed the fire ring before, and it is NOT recommended.  I removed it because I was not using charcoal in the beginning - so I didn't need a charcoal basket or fire ring at all.  I was using electricity.  That said, I have switched back to charcoal and put the ring back in.  I hadn't fired it yet when I took it out the first time.  It still works fine, but It has crumbled a bit in some of the corners and I don't think removing it and reinserting helped.  

5.  I've had my teak tables for years and they still look good.  I haven't used any oil on it yet.  I'm not saying you shouldn't.  The  key is to keep them out of the sun and weather day after day.  I cover my KK now, and leave them folded under the cover.  Before I bought the cover, I took them off each time and kept them indoors.  Therefore, no need for teak oil after all this time.  

Good luck with the move!

• Like 1

I have not moved a small grill like the one you have, but I have moved several 23" and an older 19.5". They move best when in the crate.

I used a load strap to strap the crate to a hand truck and with assistance of another moved it into and out of a pickup truck via a ramp I made.

To go up the stairs, remember that the person leading will be on higher footing the entire way, thus causing them to hunch over. It might work better if you can get a hand truck or refrigerator dolly, leave it in the crate, and the lead person pull, while the trailer person lifts/pushes. Take each step one-at-a-time using a coordinated pull/lift/push motion. 

Slow-n-easy wins the race.

Good luck with it.

• Like 2

thanks for the suggestions so far.

i think the hand cart dolly is the best way to get it up stairs. the angled pitch going up stairs using the planter straps is too dangerous. i just need to find one with big wheels to roll over the steps. when it gets on the roof, i'll use the planter straps and get 4 guys to lift it on a kk rolling cart. i think i will need my lifting belt for this..

I had to move my 23" up a flight of 8 stairs in my house to get it on the deck. I built a ramp for the stairs out of 1/2" plywood. It took 5 of us to push/pull it up the stairs and I had taken the top off first! 3 guys with straps/ropes pulling from the top of the stairs and 2 of us below to steady it and hold it from sliding backwards as it went up the ramp. Footing was the main issue, as my feet wanted to slide on the ramp. 

If you rent hand trucks, get one for moving refrigerators; they can handle the weight, have larger wheels and often have a belt/pulley assembly for strapping it down. 

Good Luck! ☘️

Edited by tony b
  • Like 1

Just for the sake of mentioning it. Have you ever seen a roofer that has to carry bundles up to the roof? Generally on his back, however once in a while I see a motorized attachment on the ladder with two arms and a number of bundles are placed on there and sent up. The weight capacity is a mystery, but it does occupy less space than a scissor jack and may be an alternative.

• Like 1