Poochie

The 32" Cobalt Blue Pebble was Delivered Today

I gave my guy $60.  But it is because he was worried about scraping my driveway with the truck.  Then when we got the truck up the driveway we had to lift powerlines, etc onto the top of the truck.  He waited while I got a stick of wood to manipulate the power and signal lines with to get them up in the right position (and he helped me do it). Then he backed up slowly - exactly to where the truck was level without screwing anything up.  then (he only had a manual pallet jack b/c the electric one was out of commission) and with great effort got the pallet onto the lift gate, down, onto the driveway, and put it exactly where I wanted it.  Then - he sat there and waited while I unwrapped everything and looked at it - acted like he had nowhere better to be than to just be watching me inspect things.  After I was satisfied (a good 10 minutes), he then stated to me that I didn't have to tip him.  I had the male mother teresa of truck drivers.  The guy was a saint with a perfect touch.  sixty bucks seemed like nothing after spending over 10k on the 42 big badass.

Edited by johnnymnemonic
  • Like 4

On 2/4/2022 at 1:51 AM, Poochie said:

The dude unbolted one crate while I undid the other. This was done so he could help me put the lid on.

@Poochie, I was puzzled by this when I first read it but I didn't get around to asking.  Why did your KK come with the lid in a separate crate?  Is that standard for the US/these days? So far I have had five KKs delivered and they all arrived with their lids on.

I don’t recall where I saw it but there was a remark somewhere that the grills are now shipping in two crates. Again, I don’t recall whether the reason was to better facilitate shipping, storage at the import end, cost, a combination of these or something else entirely. Probably no coincidence, however, that this video recently appeared on YouTube. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The answer is the incredible increase in costs for Dennis to ship these smokers. So being the genius that he is...he invented the wheel, the light bulb, and the Ronco Pocket Fisherman....he decided to take the lid off of smokers and stack another smoker on top of it...crate to crate. Now he can lose less money in the shipping process. I believe the 42's still come with the lid on. SOME 32's will also come with the lid on since there may not be a smaller smoker to stack on top of every 32".  He does not stack a 32 on top of a 32. Just smaller KK's on top of 32's. 

I forgot to add..."How do I know if mine will have the lid separated?"  You'll get an email with a short video on how to put the lid on...only if yours is separated. No video, No separate lid. 

Edited by Poochie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

My ship docked January 6th and it was delivered February 3rd.  It was supposed to be February 7th but they called the morning of the 3rd and said we'll be there in 2 hours. There are lots of factors that determine the time it takes to receive it from the day the ship docks.

• Like 1

I'm going to guess that most of the stuff you'll worry about won't happen. The delivery guys will most likely be willing to help you get it where you want it. A little encouragement $$ won't hurt either.  

You're right about getting it a lot sooner than I got mine...mine travelled from California to Louisiana.  Has your ship docked yet?

• Like 1

I think it's supposed to arrive on the 23rd. I have to check again to make sure. I am pretty good but my husband is the one who wants all the details. Probably because he is the one who will have to move it into place. Hahaha. We have a narrow side pathway it needs to come down and then past the large AC until and over the dirt where the lawn still needs to be installed. Our oldest son is 25 and can help with this but it's gonna be tight. Hahaha!

• Like 1

Just in case it rains the day before or the day of delivery, I'd get some OSB...Oriented Strand Board...to place on the bare ground.  Even if you think your ground it rock hard, the weight of the smoker will make those pallet jack tires sink. You can get  the OSB at Home Depot.  If you ordered a 32" the crate is 46"x46" and about 5 feet tall. It may not be that tall if the lid is in a separate crate, but if you ordered a lot of goodies with it, they'll be stacked on top of the big crate. You can easily cut the clear wrap and remove a bunch of boxes to lighten the load before you (hubby) moves it. The 32" itself is about 3 feet by 3 feet if that'll help you get by the AC unit.

Best of luck to you, husband and son and hopefully the delivery guy getting it where you want it. Don't be bashful asking the delivery dude to help you move it. That pallet jack is worth its weight in gold. 

• Like 2

I think my husband said he was going to get a few pavers to place along the way to help to provide a stable path. They will get moved once we get the bbq in place. This 32 is so heavy there is no way I would think about trying to move it on bare dirt. Hahaha! I told him that we should see if our neighbors behind us would let us go down their driveway and then remove a fence section and come into our yard that way. He doesn't want to. Haha. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the dimensions and such. 😊

The pavers could work if you're on solid perfectly flat ground. You'd also have to have them spaced for the pallet jack wheels which is typically 27". If the pavers shift or create a crack for the pallet jack wheels, you may have a problem. Since a sheet of plywood or OSB would be flat on the ground, it won't be load bearing. So you use two sheets and while the pallet jack crosses from sheet one to sheet two, grab sheet one and put it in front of sheet 2 and so on. I'm not saying the pavers won't work but I think it's more risky than a flat piece of wood. Once again, good luck to you and I'm sure it'll go just fine.  

Edited by Poochie
  • Like 1

Oh! Also, the pallet jack will not fit to take it over the dirt. We are going to have to roll it on it's casters. The pavers are going to be a must because it will be rolled off the concrete walkway, into the dirt to go around the AC unit and then back up into the concrete walkway again. From there it's an easy walk to the patio 

I kept it in the pallet to the point where I wanted the KK to stay. The pallet jack is 27" wide and your KK is 36" wide.  So wherever the KK will fit, the pallet jack will fit. And like I said earlier, the crate itself is 46X46. So I'm guessing you don't have 46" by that AC unit.

If you want to push your 32 on pavers, the same thing applies...you can't have any cracks between them and you'll need some extra room side to side on the pavers. It's not like pushing a shopping cart where you can get it exactly where you want it. The weight of the smoker and the fact that it only has one handle makes it difficult to push it in a straight line. I have no doubt you'll get it where you want it, I'd just like you to have the easiest experience possible doing it. And again, do hesitate to ask the delivery guy for some tips to get it where you want it.

• Like 1