KK787

Technique For Getting Crispy Chicken with the Rotisserie

Mix a little baking powder in your rub. It will help 👍

And I cook at a higher temp than some folks, between 375 and 400.

You can also split the fire box front to back so you would be half direct and half indirect if spinning the bird, I haven’t tried that one yet. 

Works for spatchcock turkey too

C1744A7A-2B5D-42D3-83F3-3524FC142B75.jpeg

• Like 4

All good ideas. In addition to those I pat the bird skins down with a paper towel and rub some seasoning salt on ( let air dry in frig for a bit that will help draw out some moisture as a steak would). If they're on the Roto simply stop the turning at the end to face some direct heat where you want it for a short amount of time.  

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 1

Ok ……. This worked.   Brined the whole bird for 3 hours - 1 gal water, 1/2 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar.  Patted dry with some moister left. Salt and peppered.  Then I took a small sieve, put a heaping teaspoon of aluminum free baking powder in it carefully held it over the bird, then tapped with my finger which dusted the bird perfectly.  I placed the bird on a wire rack pan and let air dry overnight.  Cooked the bird at 350 in the rotisserie basket for about an hour and a half using the Meater probes.  Pulled the probes when the breast was 175.  Cranked up the heat to 500+ and seared the skin until golden brown - about 5-8 minutes.  Came out perfect.  Moist meat and excellent crispy skin.  Do not tent the bird because this will soften the skin.  Let it rest uncovered. 

• Like 2

Good that this worked for you @KK787.  A few weeks ago I tried dusting one chicken with baking powder and left one without.  Dried both in my dry ager for about six hours before cooking in the rotisserie at about 200C.  Both chickens came out crispy.  I was entertaining and didn't have time to take photos but it would be good to try out your method with and without the baking powder with chooks side by side to side to be sure that the dusting of baking power is indeed the key factor.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, KK787 said:

What kind of Dry Ager and size  do you have? 

Hi @KK787.  This is the dry ager that I have: https://www.dry-ager.com/en/shop/dry-aging-fridge-dx500/  I love it and use it all the time for short stints to dry out poultry or pork skin before grilling or long stints to age beef.  Aged tuna was divine too.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KK787 said:

Beautiful machine!  I was looking the exact same one this morning.  Does it over dry your chicken meat in an effort to get crispy skin?.  If you are doing ribeye steaks, mow much meat on each side do you end up slicing off - 1/8”?

I know, it's gorgeous.  No, it does not over dry the chicken meat at all.  A few hours simply has the effect of drying off any surface moisture.  I have dry aged whole chickens for up to a week and they are fine.  Where I have seen the flesh get a bit dry is with a duck breast that I left in for a week.  It was fine though.  Super easy to score the dry duck skin and the flesh sort of re-constituted itself while being cooked and was well flavoured but not dry at all. 

How much do I end up slicing off steaks?  I don't tend to dry age individual steaks for very long.  The meat has usually been hung for a minimum of 45 days by my butcher so a week in the dry ager just intensifies the flavour and there is no need to slice anything off the end at all before cooking.  

Just now, KK787 said:

I have one of those Dennis - thanks for the advice!  Will give it a try.  I tired roasting the bird directly after the wet brine and it was way to moist and watery.  So brine, jaccard, air dry in the refrigerator over night then cook?  

And add baking powder after the brine and before placing in the fridge?

yes, baking powder works.

but for crispy chicken skin, which really is the best part of the chicken,  i don't bother cooking a whole chicken for the skin. i just buy bulk chicken skin and air fry it. but i don't think you can buy just the chicken skin in the americas, in asia, you can buy just the skin in bags and it's crisps like pork rinds. 

it's weird, but in the US, which the poultry industry processes an insane amount of chicken, you can never buy separate parts like skin, testes, crowns, cartilage, and all the offals. i guess its for the yakitori asian market. 

51 minutes ago, David Chang said:

i just buy bulk chicken skin and air fry it.

Hi David.  It would be good to know how you air fry your chicken skin.  I mince chicken thighs for my cats to eat raw and this last time I kept and vacuum packed the skins for future use.  I get them crisp by roasting them between two baking sheets but it would be good to have another method.  Crispy sheets of chicken skin goes well in chicken thigh burgers and there is a chicken skin taco recipe that I am looking forward to trying.