Poochie

Pork Butt 14 hour cook

About an 8 pound butt that I cooked at 228...yes, I was trying to see how good my new Fireboard 2 Drive would do...and it worked like a charm.  The photo of the butt on the grate makes it look like it weighs 2 pounds because the KK is so big. Very tasty too. If you look close you can see that I started a small fire in the extreme left side. After it cools down I'll see how much lump it didn't use!

IMG_1766.jpeg

IMG_1772.jpeg

IMG_1777.jpeg

IMG_1779.jpeg

IMG_1782.jpeg

IMG_1776.jpeg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Poochie said:

About an 8 pound butt that I cooked at 228...yes, I was trying to see how good my new Fireboard 2 Drive would do...and it worked like a charm.  The photo of the butt on the grate makes it look like it weighs 2 pounds because the KK is so big. Very tasty too. If you look close you can see that I started a small fire in the extreme left side. After it cools down I'll see how much lump it didn't use!

IMG_1766.jpeg

IMG_1772.jpeg

IMG_1777.jpeg

IMG_1779.jpeg

IMG_1782.jpeg

IMG_1776.jpeg

congrats  looks very good.

I'm considering the Fireboard 2 Drive as well. I'm curious to know which fan you used. I'm thinking about ordering the BBQ Guru Bull or Viper. I like the Bull because it's all metal but others said it's a bit too powerful. The Viper is plastic but more appropriate for the BB32. I'll probably just go with the Viper and see how it goes. 

I have a FireBoard 2 as well and use it with a Guru viper on my KK 21.  The FireBoard 2 is and the Guru fan is a great setup and like it much better than any other I’ve used (and I’ve used 2 couple of highly rated others).  What lump did you use on your cook and how long did it take?  I’m throwing a 9.3 lb butt on my KK tonight (ready to go around 11pm) with hopes that 1 big load of Fogo super premium (really large pieces) can get me through without having to reload.  Shooting for a 225-230 temp. Hoping it will be ready in time for dinner to share with friends tomorrow night.  Think it might or should I goose up the temp a bit?  Must admit I am out of practice and flying solo so I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed.  Thanks for any info and encouragement you can give.

Sharon

At 225 to 230 you should not need to reload any charcoal. Check the temp around 8 AM and if you are not through the stall then bump the temp up to 245. That should get you finished around 3 PM. That gives you plenty of time to rest. They are all different so maybe earlier maybe later.

I like to cook my butts at 235, but i am usually cooking two at a time and i try to schedule out for an 18 hour cook.

• Like 1