Poochie

And now for something completely different...

Tagine. That's that the cooking vessel is called. The recipe has a bunch of ingrediants that I'll post later. The star of the show is pork, but lamb, goat, or chicken is more traditional. You're not supposed to get this thing hotter than 275, but most say 350 tops.  The reason for the heat deflector is that you're not supposed to put this thing directly on a stove or oven without something to keep direct heat off the bottom. It can crack if you neglect this. Mine is earthenware, hand painted, and glazed. It's 100% food safe.  The meal was very good and we both loved it. I'll fix something with lamb or chicken soon.  I bought the tagine from Amazon. 

IMG_1785.jpeg

IMG_1786.jpeg

IMG_1787.jpeg

IMG_1788.jpeg

IMG_1790.jpeg

• Like 7

That looks lovely @Poochie.  I have not used my tagine in years.  Since I got my KK I tend not to cook with covered dishes in the KK, on the basis that the KK lid is my cover. That said, the beauty of a tagine is meant to be the recirculation of the steam into the dish and your cook illustrates that nicely.  One to try!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Poochie - there are two "models" of tagines:  serving tagines are elaborately decorated and cooking ones, which has less decorations on it. I have no issues with putting mine directly on my gas cooktop - just warm them up slowly and don't go over medium heat. If you research them, they are traditionally set on top of charcoal fire in another clay pot. I own 2 of them and use them several times a year, as I like Moroccan food. Here's a link to a good source for both "models" of tagines.

Moroccan Cookware | Treasures of Morocco

930740773_Tagine1.thumb.jpg.1aa8353810b38346f817d4293646a9a1.jpg1698599737_Tagine2.thumb.jpg.f90f2ea2c1e804d4e8dc6a6141dd1433.jpg

No different than the Donabe pots that many of us here have for cooking rice. Goes right on the gas stove.

1999533745_Donabepotonstove.thumb.jpg.54d99f547c9bd5eefa6f578690998fc2.jpg242551294_Donabepot-done.thumb.jpg.eae2db85375a92ee201954a4811a9758.jpg

I also have Bulgarian "clay pots" for making stews, which typically go in the oven (cold) so everything heats up uniformly. 

1164311582_BulgarianClayPots002.thumb.jpg.1c94d25a5e4bc25ca9cf413f3f24fcff.jpg1986546439_BulgarianClayPots003.thumb.jpg.744bc7af421b6fbd3dafd64bee2b3a17.jpg

• Like 6

Tony.. I've never seen those short stubby ones before. But that would be cool too. The instructions on mine said to use a diffuser if you used a gas or electric stove. My heat deflector was my "other clay pot".  I was really worried about it cracking but it ended up fine. 

Tekobo..I cooked for a little while without the lid on to try to get a hint of smoke. I didn't leave if off long enough because there was no smoke flavor. I'll know next time

The fettuccine turned out ok, gave some to my friend and he really liked it! If I make it again I’ll use spaghetti. Tony I’ll get back to my KK pretty soon my daughter is coming for a visit from Hawaii and she loves grilling. I have a freezer full of meat that just needs to be cooked.  Hope everybody are having a great weekend!

• Like 4