skoell

Hi from Germany

Hello together,

My name is Marc, and I guess I am the latest Komodo Kamado owner in Germany :)

After a long wait of two months my (first but for sure not last) Komodo Kamado finally arrived in my garden. It's a matt black pebbles Big Bad and it's a beauty!

Set up was not easy though as my garden is located uphill - only two rather narrow stairways lead to it. I ordered a crane to do the job ... And I can tell you seeing the grill hanging in mid air (over my roof...) did make me nervous. However everything went fine and, ...well. See for yourself. As I learned from reading other welcome posts it seems to be customary to post photos of the new family member member ;-)

I already did 3 jobs on the grill - works like a charm.

One question though: Opening the top damper works very smoothly. Closing it however doesn't, unless I close it REALLY slowly the damper jiggles considerably. I assume it needs to be adjusted.. probably with the nut screw inside of the damper? Before I get my hands on it though I thought asking might be smart ...

Have a great Sunday

Marc

IMG20220210160423.jpg

IMG20220210133448.jpg

IMG20220210134051.jpg

IMG20220210160411.jpg

IMG20220210135446.jpg

• Like 8

Welcome to the KK family Mark and congratulations on your beautiful new KK. Looking forward to pictures of your future cooks. As for the top vent rattling when closing I’m sure a few of the forum members will give you some advice.if not contact Dennis and he will surely take good care of you, he is a really good guy! 

• Like 1

Another fan of pebbles! Glad to see you got the KK where you wanted it. The jiggle in the top vent can be modified (not sure if it'll cure it) by getting the spring out of the spring loaded toilet paper holder plastic piece. Now unscrew the top vent all the way (remove the cotter pin first) and place the spring on the threaded shaft. Screw the vent back in place and put the cotter pin back in. This will also cure it of moving when you open and close the lid after you set it where you want it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Poochie said:

Another fan of pebbles! Glad to see you got the KK where you wanted it. The jiggle in the top vent can be modified (not sure if it'll cure it) by getting the spring out of the spring loaded toilet paper holder plastic piece. Now unscrew the top vent all the way (remove the cotter pin first) and place the spring on the threaded shaft. Screw the vent back in place and put the cotter pin back in. This will also cure it of moving when you open and close the lid after you set it where you want it. 

Wow, that's a great idea. I"ll grab a spring so when my KK arrives I can assemble it that way. 

Yeah, Dennis turned us onto this simple "fix" back in the day. Several of us with our KKs on elevated decks noticed that the top vent would "wander" when we walked around, messing up our settings and wondering why the temperature was wrong from where we initially set it. These springs work, but they don't last very long and will need to be swapped out at least annually. Part of my "spring touch ups!" (pun intended! Taking lessons from @Poochie 🤣)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys! And yes, definitely in the pebbles corner!

I actually was too busy eating, totally forgot about the photos :) so far: Roastbeef, Iberico Spare Ribs and a Pulled Pork. All turned out beautifully

thanks poochie for the hint! I will give it a try.

22 hours ago, skoell said:

After a long wait of two months my (first but for sure not last) Komodo Kamado finally arrived in my garden. It's a matt black pebbles Big Bad and it's a beauty!

Wow!  What an entrance. KK baby delivered by Crane.  Nice one.  Also good that you already know that this won't be your last KK.  Once you catch the bug there is no escape.  Congratulations.  

2 hours ago, tekobo said:

Wow!  What an entrance. KK baby delivered by Crane.  Nice one.  Also good that you already know that this won't be your last KK.  Once you catch the bug there is no escape.  Congratulations.  

I actually wasn't sure how much the crane is able to safely lift over my house (as the drop zone is quite some distance from where the crane had to stand)... So I asked the guy. Safe up to 3.000kg. 42" SBB supported ;)

• Haha 2

The KK was made to fit that spot all nestled up amongst the greenery with a beautiful backdrop of rolling hills. You are bound to attract some attention from your neighbors skoell, tell us what those nearby thought of your BBQ kamado. Who knows, a beauty of that sort might spread........congrats to you and best of luck on your cooking adventure. Now get a cover!