Troble

Central Texas BBQ

Traveling a lot in Texas as we launch our solar shingle product spent a lot of time in Austin this week 

went to La Barbecue yesterday but was eating while on a co fete me call so only ordered brisket & beans wasn’t really paying attention or thinking when I ordered 

also went to the original Salt Lick in Driftwood tonight for dinner with a client and ordered a proper sample plate. Will be back here a ton over the next few months but will also check out and post some San Antonio BBQ in the coming weeks 

5E65FB10-C90B-4552-804F-950C488AFD70.jpeg

CE9F90BC-B100-4AA1-BB1D-99736028E7F8.jpeg

AFA63051-4E9F-4A05-9710-D80D753A5EB2.jpeg

92BB4B99-81C0-4F7A-A94E-CA805FF6DAE5.jpeg

98827871-0A3B-4F3F-88CF-84A69F14D0CF.jpeg

99AAAA34-77D5-4E42-A1A2-DB02AAE926FF.jpeg

• Like 6

I’ve been so busy at work I didn’t have time to get into details. Just sat on the tarmac for 4 hours and they cancelled my flight so getting to stay another night in Austin by the airport 

La barbecue brisket was good. Real tasty I’ve never been there before but my friends claimed the brisket was better than Franklins. I thought it was great but I was on a conference call while eating so I didn’t order well just ordered a 1/2 lb of brisket but it was tasty and the black beans were spicy and delicious. Gotta go back and order more to try other meat

Ive been to salt lick round rock before maybe 5-6 years ago and thought it was ok. Last night I went to the original location in Driftwood. The setup was awesome live music, BYOB cool atmosphere but I definitely make better brisket at home in my KK than what I ate there. Sausage was good, bison rib was good but overall food was “ok” again maybe I’m conceited but I feel like I could do better

also ate at liberty bbq today in round rock had brisket and pork ribs. Pork ribs were tender, heavy rub, really tasty, brisket was good, above salt lick but below la barbecue. I didn’t take any pictures today because I met an old friend for a late lunch and had to turn my phone off to “unplug” from work. Have every 30 minutes of my day scheduled from 6am-6pm, getting 100 emails and 50 phone calls a day, so just wanted to catch up with my buddy who I hadn’t seen in 5 years and have a beer . My friend who’s from here who took me to Liberty told me I need to go to “the black” in Longmont for the best brisket. Will do that for future visits. 

franklins is on the docket for next trip in two weeks I told my customer I’d buy lunch for his team and we agreed to get Franklins to go next trip so will judge later. 

I gotta come to Austin every other week for the next 8 weeks or so so I’ll post more. It’s been a good 5-6 years since I’ve come to Austin so there’s a lot more BBQ places now

my San Antonio customer tells me the best brisket is in San Antonio so I’ll try his recommendation next trip and add to this thread. One good perk about work travel is eating good local food so I’ll try them all over the next two months but honestly im feeling  good about my KK briskets that come from my backyard in San Diego 

Edited by Troble
  • Like 6

I recognised Salt Lick from your photo @Troble.  Here is mine from 2015.  I did not have a KK then and didn't have much to compare the food with.  I enjoyed the meal, liked the BYOB aspect and it was easier to get into than Franklins.  Maybe next time I am in the US I will have the patience to wait in line to try their brisket.

IMG_1141.thumb.JPG.a5f09a8260c7e05720eaf38f0fe39b58.JPG

• Like 5

So this week I was in Denver>Austin>Dallas>Denver>Denver

there was a polar vortex Wednesday Thursday and I go to drive through black ice in Dallas then through a blizzard in Denver which was supper fun for this San Diego boy

however I got to try this restaurant in Dallas called Loro https://www.loroeats.com that’s is a BBQ/Asian fusion place by Aaron Franklin. Unfortunately by the time I got there they were sold out of brisket, but I managed to order a brisket sandwich. The food was really incredible I loved it. Here’s some photos 

B44F7BE7-B2C3-45D5-8C68-15FFD7A91F76.jpeg

101FFB21-A3C3-4ACD-9338-CF92650924BC.jpeg

866B4F7D-3DFF-4B08-BA50-3DFBB77EF500.jpeg

7E252392-FB9B-4891-AE0E-8497D60EE047.jpeg

06890EA2-7C9F-4EFE-829B-4AB67815E970.jpeg

Edited by Troble
  • Like 5

Go to Babes Chicken Dinner House, i love that place. Go to the original out by the speedway in Roanoke TX :) 

They have two things on the menu, fried chicken and chicken fried steak. Ok they don't actually have a menu, you just pick one or the other and they bring it with the sides. Did I mention i love that place lol

Babes Fried Chicken

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 6:56 PM, Poochie said:

I'd like to try Franklin's. One day.

@PoochieI went to Austin couple 3 years back before the pandi and a local took me to Terry Black's.   Said you don't have to wait in line forever and it's just as good or better than Franklin's.  At Franklin's - there's a line around the building starting early in the morning and they sell out during lunch time a lot of days.  Only worth it if you have all morning.  I was there on business - did not have all morning.

Anyway Terry Black's was awesome.  If Franklin's truly is the best for some reason, it would have to be completely mind blowing to beat what I had at Terry Black's.  Truly inspiring BBQ.  I got beef ribs and brisket.  It is one of the reasons why I got my KK - because I wanted to try to match or beat the beef I had at this place.  The beef ribs to me were the most amazing.  Brisket was great too.  I've done some good brisket, but I have not run across (or bothered to special order from my butcher) some big beef ribs.  Got to try that sometime.

https://www.terryblacksbbq.com/austin

Edited by johnnymnemonic
accuracy
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Poochie said:

It all looks delicious except I'm now sure what that first dish is. Cheese on top of corn? Shredded cauliflower on corn?

Mexican street corn - that's Cotilla cheese on top, with mayo, chile powder and lime juice.

I was more curious about the last 2 "fritters"? 

• Like 1

Ordered BBQ from “Blacks” down in south Austin for a sales meeting lunch. Not the best looking picture but the brisket was outstanding 

https://www.blacksbbq.com/austin

also ordered Hurtado BBQ for lunch after a sales meeting in Dallas. No pictures taken, has kind of a Spanish twist to bbq but was also great 

https://hurtadobbq.com

D0CA4222-1F09-4441-9145-437D39E5F477.jpeg

• Like 4