Poochie

Pizza...First attempt

yup, roberta's pizza recipe is really easy. 
i'm doing vito's double ferment poolish recipe right now...
second ferment is in the fridge and i hope i used a big enough bowl to last until tomorrow morning. it's already huge..
[/url] image.thumb.png.95fe74ec4698a4356bd1cde03682eeda.png

Definitely use a bigger bowl if you have one, I use a large mixing bowl with lid, and it always ends up pushing the lid up a bit.

The dough is very forgiving though, if it does overflow a bit then you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Just now, alimac23 said:

The Vito dough is definitely my favourite, and I’ve tried a lot of dough recipes.

These are the latest pizzas using that dough.

Nice, i'm probably making pizza tomorrow. The question is whether or not to do it on the KK because I haven't made pizza on it..

Nice, i'm probably making pizza tomorrow. The question is whether or not to do it on the KK because I haven't made pizza on it..

The KK definitely makes amazing pizza, just make sure to get it nice and hot (550f) and let your pizza stone heat soak for a good couple of hours.

• Like 1

That's the way I did it. Put the stone in from the beginning. Next time I'll line up a bunch of pizzas to cook because it takes a shoot load of lump to get this baby going at 550 AND the pizza stone at 550. However, unlike a pizza oven, you don't have to hawk eye it or rotate it. And my pizza didn't even think about sticking to the stone. 

I’ve found that 1/4” Steel Pizza baking plate worked better than the ceramic  for thin and crispy pies on the KK using highest grate and temp between 500-550 and would take 4-5 min.   Used the Super Peel to place the pies more precise when making large ones..  I couldn’t  really fit many pies in my KK; so ended up purchasing a proper wood fire oven (a Torino Venetzia) that cooks at higher temps and just under 2 min for great Neapolitan style pies..

Tip, If you have a Trader Joe’s nearby, their ready made pizza dough is another option ready to use (after letting it rise in separate dough balls)…. I stopped making the dough once I moved back State side and happen to have a TJ close by.  

2455677F-2868-4B8B-816F-EBD31C349708.jpeg

DA57568A-9A1F-47D2-983F-AA509B4B9742.jpeg

9AB892FF-E961-4C62-BA76-5A023863804D.jpeg

64861599-64E0-4242-B0CF-FD0E20F7CB60.jpeg

96A3D5F9-5449-4C49-8FC1-F9809CAF498D.jpeg

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Hx31416 said:

I’ve found that 1/4” Steel Pizza baking plate worked better than the ceramic  for thin and crispy pies on the KK using highest grate and temp between 500-550 and would take 4-5 min.  

I also use a seasoned 1/4” carbon steel plate for thinner and Neapolitan style pizza with great results.  It does double duty in the oven too.  I’ve not used a stone before so nothing to compare it to, but I would think the steel might heat up quicker.  

• Like 1

I tried another experiment using a thinner typical store bought pizza stone that I already had and held the KK at a steady 450 degrees. Once the stone was 450, I put the pizza on and cooked it for around 12-14 minutes. The top cooked just fine and the crust was crispy. I used half 00 flour and half bread flour.  I can't make a round pizza if my life depended on it. That pizza has a lot of pepperoni on it hiding under some goat cheese and mozzarella. 

IMG_1914.jpeg

Edited by Poochie
  • Like 5

There are lots of videos on stretching and shaping pizzas on YouTube; there are several established techniques for opening the dough balls to get roundish pizzas. The technique that has helped me the most is to use very little bench flour; instead, I have a bowl of semolina flour to drop the dough ball into. Drop the ball in, turn it over and drop in to coat the other side of the ball, then pick up and slap the ball to remove any excess flour. This really helps keep the dough from sticking to the bench and my hands.

When I first got serious about making pizzas, I bought a silicon mat that had circles of various sizes printed on it that helped me judge roundness and size.  Now I open the dough balls either on my granite counter top (when baking in the Breville in my kitchen) or on a granite slab (when downstairs baking in the big outdoor oven). Of course, even if I make a perfectly round one, I get it out of round when launching it into my ovens! I have Super Peels to help with launches now (yes, that's cheating: https://superpeel.com/). Since most of the time I'm only making one pizza, I don't get a lot of repetitive practice on shaping so I'm no where as fast as the pros but I'm improving - I can generally open a dough ball faster than my guests can put the toppings on.

The granite slab I use downstairs is the sink cutout left over when my parents had granite countertops installed years ago. My dad had saved it and I found it in his shop/garage after he passed. I hope to make a frame with handles to make it a bit easier to handle and move around if/when I get my woodworking shop set up. I wasn't home when my granite countertops were installed and didn't think to tell the installers I wanted the sink cutout; I wish I had it.

Lots of folks ask me if I hand toss pizzas when opening the dough; I have but with my early attempts the dough wrapped around my hand when I caught it and stuck to itself, defeating the purpose. I usually don't have extra dough balls so the fear of dropping the opened dough when catching the toss had prevented me from attempting a toss in a long time. Besides, tossing the dough is more of a New York style pizza thing and I'm making neapolitan-ish pizzas!

On 3/16/2022 at 2:45 AM, Poochie said:

I can't make a round pizza if my life depended on it.