David Chang

what is this thing i just baked?

this was my first sourdough on the kk. i hit around 475 on the upper grate when placing the loaf in. i threw in about 3/4 of a tall glass of ice on the main grate and down the drip tray. lots of steam for the first few minutes, then nothing.

dome temp dropped to around 400f and when climbing back, maxed around 450. basically pulled the bottom vent drawer out and top vent open to maintain this. my bad for cooking with left lover coals from tonights chicken dinner but i was hoping for hotter temps and not struggle to maintain 500.

i don’t know why the rise was so tilted. was it from excessive steam? this never happens when i use my bread cloche. 

the bread internal temp was done at over 200f, but the bottom looks under cooked, and that probably meant my stone wasn’t hot enough and i didn’t bother taking out my ir gun to measure stone temp.

judging by the flat top, there may be some collapsed pockets inside.

not my best loaf by far, and i’m completely out of my comfort zone when it comes to live fire bread baking. will post the crumbs once its cool enough to slice. 

B2034900-8C83-4660-9F00-DE08A6BA39BD.jpeg

DCDD9908-3AEF-459A-A220-C9BBC8572359.jpeg

0966ED20-87A7-49ED-AB39-F0A21193BD3A.jpeg

65EB9E32-6823-4C6E-A2EA-3715CBC395E9.jpeg

53674DE8-DE80-4FA8-9207-41F681EFB3F7.jpeg

Edited by David Chang
  • Like 7

maybe. it was left out room temp overnight after stretch and fold. and cold retard in the fridge for another 8 hours. and two more hours room temp before baking. i noticed the final form did not fill the basket, which it has done in the past. 

this one was proofed and baked the same way with my home oven and ceramic cloche. but the temp was consistently higher. i think i need to set the kk to 550 to compensate for the loss in temp once ice drops...

image.thumb.png.faa558af1be0abb46c5e2b3db1eb1446.png

Edited by David Chang
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The first loaf looks a little bit like a walnut, but it's still better than what I could do. I plan to learn bread and pizza on this cooker.  I have a Samsung oven...not convection...and I couldn't hate it more. I've replaced the controllers twice. The oven is off by 30 degrees. And for the first time in the history of the digital clock, one of the segments on the hour digit burned out. So when it's 8am, it looks like it's 9.  6 looks like 5. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, C6Bill said:

That second loaf is beautiful David !!!!!!

i really want to get the same results using residual heat in the kk. seems like a waste to heat up a grill and just cook one thing and not finish or start off with a bread bake. 

1 hour ago, Poochie said:

The first loaf looks a little bit like a walnut, but it's still better than what I could do. I plan to learn bread and pizza on this cooker.  I have a Samsung oven...not convection...and I couldn't hate it more. I've replaced the controllers twice. The oven is off by 30 degrees. And for the first time in the history of the digital clock, one of the segments on the hour digit burned out. So when it's 8am, it looks like it's 9.  6 looks like 5. 

when using my home oven, i turn convection off. the fan doesn't do anything when baking in a dutch oven or ceramic cloche. if your oven temp is off by alot, use your grill thermometer and adjust oven dial with using the reading from the external thermometer. 

Edited by David Chang