David Chang

what is this thing i just baked?

Pumpernickel sourdough

• 200 g Sourdough starter
  • 325 g Brewed Coffee,  (90°F to 110°F) (start 275 g)
  • 525 g APF(start 375 g APF, 75 g Rye )
  • 12 g Cocoa Powder
  • 11 g Sugar
  • 80 g Molasses
  • 12 g Salt
  • 10 g minced onion
  • 50 g yellow cornmeal, for coating the pan

• Stir together all of the ingredients except the cornmeal and salt in a large bowl. starting with 450 grams of the flour and 275 grams coffee. Let the shaggy mess rest for 20 minutes covered. Then add remaining 75 grams of APF, 50 grams of coffee and salt, Mix then let rest an hour. Then stretch and fold. Stretch and fold two hours after that and another 2 hours after that, the third stretch and fold is optional. Then refrigerate overnight in a lightly oiled bowl covered.

The next morning let the dough come up to room temp for two hours. Then place loaf in a floured Banneton bowl, covered for 4 to 6 hours. It should become nice and puffy. Gently poke your index finger into the top of the loaf, if the indentation remains, your bread is ready to bake.

• Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 450°F
  • Put parchment paper on a cookie sheet, and cut to shape for dutch oven with tabs for handles. Put the cornmeal on the paper and gently roll the loaf on to the sheet and score the loaf however you like. Immediately put it in the oven.
  • Turn oven temp down to 435°F immediately after putting the bread in the oven
  • Bake the bread for 30 minutes and remove lid, cook an additional 20 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the loaf sounds hollow when you tap it on the bottom. The interior temperature of the bread should register at least 205°F on a digital thermometer.
  • Turn the oven off, crack the door open, and allow the bread to remain inside for 10 additional minutes; this helps keep the crust crisp. Remove the bread from the oven and cool it on a rack. And wipe any excess cornmeal off the bottom.
Edited by C6Bill
  • Like 1

Caraway Seed Sourdough

• 350 g Brewed Coffee,  (90°F to 110°F) (start 275 g)
  • 525 g APF(start 375 g APF, 75 g Rye )
  • 10 g Caraway seeds
  • 11 g Sugar
  • 12 g Salt
  • 50 g yellow cornmeal, for coating the pan

• Stir together all of the ingredients except the cornmeal and salt in a large bowl. starting with 450 grams of the flour and 275 grams coffee. Let the shaggy mess rest for 20 minutes covered. Then add remaining 75 grams of APF, 50 grams of coffee and salt, Mix then let rest an hour. Then stretch and fold. Stretch and fold two hours after that and another 2 hours after that, the third stretch and fold is optional. Then refrigerate overnight in a lightly oiled bowl covered.

The next morning let the dough come up to room temp for two hours. Then place loaf in a floured Banneton bowl, covered for 4 to 6 hours. It should become nice and puffy. Gently poke your index finger into the top of the loaf, if the indentation remains, your bread is ready to bake.

• Put parchment paper on a cookie sheet, and cut to shape for dutch oven with tabs for handles. Put the cornmeal on the paper and gently roll the loaf on to the sheet and score the loaf however you like. Immediately put it in the oven.
  • Turn oven temp down to 435°F immediately after putting the bread in the oven
  • Bake the bread for 30 minutes and remove lid, cook an additional 20 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the loaf sounds hollow when you tap it on the bottom. The interior temperature of the bread should register at least 205°F on a digital thermometer.
  • Turn the oven off, crack the door open, and allow the bread to remain inside for 10 additional minutes; this helps keep the crust crisp. Remove the bread from the oven and cool it on a rack. And wipe any excess cornmeal off the bottom.
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the sourdough pics and comments. As a newbie I am yet to try bread or pizza (in fact I have only cooked steak so far) - had my 32BB for a week but only four days since my first burn/cure. 

Can't wait to try 'everything' but very interested in bread and pizza recipes too.

Thanks so much. :)

I would dearly love to have a recipe for your sour dough breads - plain, seeded, whatever. I think they look amazing!

• Like 1

Just keep in mind that the number of stretch and folds you do can vary, listen to the dough. It will tell you what it needs. Sometimes I do one less at night and do one in the morning. Where you live and your water could mean you need more or less water in the dough. I live about 10 feet above sea level and have soft water.

Let’s see if I can paste this from my iPad, I hate my iPad 😡

Sourdough

• 325 g Water,  (90°F to 110°F) (start with 275 g)
  • 525 g Flour (425 White and 25 Whole Wheat to start)
  • 11 g Sugar
  • 12 g Salt
  • 50 g yellow cornmeal, for coating the paper

• Stir together all of the ingredients except the cornmeal and salt in a large bowl. starting with 450 grams of the flour and 275 grams water. Let the shaggy mess rest for 20 minutes covered. Then add remaining 75 grams of flour 50 grams of water and salt. Let rest an hour then stretch and fold. Stretch and fold two hours after that and another 2 hours after that. Then refrigerate overnight in a sealed container 

The next morning let the dough come up to room temp for two hours and stretch and fold one more time. Then place loaf in a floured Banneton bowl, covered for 2 to 4 hours. It should become nice and puffy. Gently poke your index finger into the top of the loaf, if the indentation remains, your bread is ready to bake. 

• Put loaf in oven and turn temp down to 435. Bake the bread for 30 minutes and remove lid, then cook an additional 20 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the loaf sounds hollow when you tap it on the bottom. The interior temperature of the bread should register about 205°F on a digital thermometer.
  • Turn the oven off, crack the door open, and allow the bread to remain inside for 10 additional minutes; this helps the crust crisp. Remove the bread from the oven and cool it on a rack. And wipe any additional cornmeal off the bottom.

just an example of my timeline

9 AM feed starter

3 PM make dough, 3 folds

8 PM put in fridge

5 AM take out of fridge and leave in bowl

9 AM put loaf in mold and start oven

10:30 AM bake

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1