DennisLinkletter

22 Tons of KK CoCo Char on the water..

Out of the blue one of my shipping companies wrote and told us they were starting a pilot program for shipping charcoal and asked if we wanted to be a guinea pig.. I've had a container volume of charcoal sitting in my factory for almost two years so I jumped at the opportunity but when I did the math with the shipping cost, I realized that the only reason it worked was that I already had paid for the charcoal and it was dead stock in Indonesia.. 
That being said, we now have 22 tons on the way.. It's the best charcoal we've ever shipped.. it's 2 1/4- 2 1/2 % ash which is unheard of.. It's so dense that the same size logs in the same size box is 10% heavier than my previous charcoal which was 4% ash.  Industry standard is 6-15%  Hopefully I can send charcoal on a regular basis once the exorbitant current shipping rates come down.
Fire Proof liner:
A company showed up with an amazing mylar metallic bag that was inflated inside the container and stuck to the walls before we put the charcoal in.. and then after the charcoal  was loaded, the air was sucked out of it and it was tied off.  This supposedly prevents the charcoal from catching on fire because there's no oxygen for it to burn if there is a fire outside the container.
Interesting idea to prevent fires..

Bag installed..
Charcoal being loaded.
WhatsApp Image 2022-02-10 at 17.11.08.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-02-10 at 17.11.08 (1).jpeg

Filling it up..

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-10 at 17.11.09.jpeg

Air vacuumed out and sealed..

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-10 at 17.11.09 (1).jpeg

I will be sending out an email with pre-sale information on the charcoal as well as a link to a page with spare parts and accessories for early KK grills and the smaller table tops on sale as I will no longer be stocking them in the US. 
Also some cabinets and flooring..

;-)
Dennis

• Like 10

I 2nd @Syzygies post about pallet sharing. I've gone in on a couple. Reduces the shipping costs dramatically.

For the newbies - it's really cost-prohibitive to think in terms of buying just a couple of boxes with home delivery via UPS or similar. Larger quantities (full or half pallets) shipped freight to a commercial address or picked up at the freight terminal are really the only way to go.

23 hours ago, tony b said:

Larger quantities (full or half pallets) shipped freight to a commercial address or picked up at the freight terminal are really the only way to go.

This is an empirical question, and the answer may have changed since my last share. Play around with the freight calculator, and pay attention to shipping per box. One captures most of the savings getting a part pallet shipped to a residential address; the "lift gate" bump for not using a loading dock is not ruinous.

The main virtue of a share is getting to meet new owners who haven't yet realized they want a part pallet for themselves.

I still have boxes dating to Sacramento and Mexico "Richard", and I was an early tester for Dennis. He sold on the cheap a first batch that didn't meet his standards, and I have to say it made damn fine barbecue. If Dennis says this is the best batch ever, we should think of it as "manufactured bincho". Go look at bincho prices, if you need help relaxing after ordering a pallet. How much can you store? is the relevant question; I built a charcoal loft in my rear shed.

• Like 1