David Chang

flambadou

does anyone here use a flambadou? do you have any tips on what types of fats to use and ones to avoid? i have duck, beef, and pork tallow on hand as well as butter. will it also work if using hard fats from pork or beef trimmings?

i recently got one in the mail from the uk but haven't had time to use it. 

image.thumb.png.5781218d196d611dec101ae2f1df72a5.png

image.thumb.png.e3d26ae59cfe82434cd20b486db324b1.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

well almost a year passed since i made this post and i finally used it..

grilled a french polmard striploin on the kk. this is a very lean beef so i figure to baste with tallow. to my disappointment it didn’t flame up because by the time my steak was done, the charcoal in my chimney started to die. it did melt the fat, just not in theatrical fashion..

i think i will put this in the shed until next year…😂

FEAC0248-E00F-40A1-83CE-A5FC4B660B20.jpeg

6A8E83EA-0E20-4161-BA57-553A29E4BAF3.jpeg

B872D7E4-C7BE-498B-9230-D87E5EF9DD62.jpeg

256B624B-5541-4506-868C-C3183A95415E.jpeg

Edited by David Chang
  • Like 2

No disrespect David, I'll just slide a piece of bacon on or melt some brisket tallow down in a pan or can. Seems to be a little theatrics, pretty cool though for an instant splash. I don't know if I'm talkin myself into it, but it looks medieval and I like that.

20 minutes ago, Tyrus said:

No disrespect David, I'll just slide a piece of bacon on or melt some brisket tallow down in a pan or can. Seems to be a little theatrics, pretty cool though for an instant splash. I don't know if I'm talkin myself into it, but it looks medieval and I like that.

oh i totally agree it's for a show. i clean and season it more than i use it 😄

• Like 2

There's a new channel on You Tube or at least new to me featuring a gentlemen in southern Georgia gifted with an incredible amount of cookers putting out some amazing meals. Now his segments last 30-45 mins and he constantly demonstrates & brings to you the conversation of what he's doing and why. Unlike others if he's doing a large cook he doesn't break after spicing one piece he remains at task and fills the gap with a continual story about what he's doing. His cooks are alot like yours, mine or anyones, but he's very even handed and knowledgeable in his approach and he injects the use of or eliminates certain steps and/or ingredients for reason.  Check him out, you may be glad you did if not for something new at least for the entertainment. He's called, BBQ Southern Style on You Tube and without a doubt through his knowledge, he's already improved my game.

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 2