BARDSLJR

guidelines for brisket cooking, weight and time?

My wife returned from Costco today with, as requested by me, a prime brisket. But a HUGE prime brisket, 20 lbs! (see photo). I've never seen a brisket this big before, much less cooked one. Mine in the past have run 12-16 lbs or so. So.....in his guidelines, Aaron Franklin recommends starting out a 12lb brisket at 255, and then going through a few other escalating stages to finish it, wrapped, at 300, in 12 hours. Does the 1lb/hour ratio hold through for this mammoth brisket? Does anyone else have any weight/time ratio guidelines or recommendations?

BTW, not the cost: six months ago, they were $2.69 or $2.99 /lb.....I'm just sayin'....

IMG_2963.jpeg

That is a good point. I have thought frequently that the difference between the 1,000 gal propane tank/ firebox style smoker that most of the Austin type bbq masters use, and us, is that those large offset smokers rely on a lot of fuel to be consumed, a lot of smoke to be generated, and a lot of turbulent air passing over the meat: with our KK smokers, we have wonderful consistency of temperature, but we have to choke down the air flow to keep the temperature within the desired range.

also, I will be using my new Fireboard2 for the first time, instead of the BBQGuru.

• Like 1