Wobster

Temp probe questions

I just ordered a 32BB and am really excited to get it here! 
I own a Thermoworks signals temperature monitoring system. I also own a meater but really only use that for rotisserie cooking. 
My question is incredibly simple. Do you run your probe leads out between the gasket (like I do with my BGE and Traegers) or is there a port for that? I assume through the gasket but there seems to be some ports and I don’t know if they are amenable to that. Probably really obvious if it was in front of me, but I have a two month wait so thought I’d ask. 

The newer models have a port in the wall that you can run your cables through. No need to pinch the cable between the lid/body/gaskets! You'll even get little silicone 'plugs' that have a cutout for cable so it helps prevent excess heat loss. The only other thing is depending on which probes you have you MAY have to buy a straight temp probe vs the angles ones so they fit through the port. I know some people have bent them to fit but I just bought straight probes (I have a Thermoworks Q so they are the thermocouple connectors. I think the 'pro' connectors fit fine though.. I can't remember). 

• Like 2

As others have mentioned, there's a main grate-level port for the probes, along with little silicon plugs for the port. The plugs have a hole for the probe cables and are probably slitted so you can slide them over the prior cables - if you look at the plug from the end, it looks like a little black donut with one side sliced thru from the edge to the donut hole.

If you notice that your fire isn't going out after closing all the dampers, there's a good chance that you've neglected to put the probe port plug back in after removing your probes... Don't ask my why I know this!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jadeite said:

The newer models have a port in the wall that you can run your cables through. No need to pinch the cable between the lid/body/gaskets! You'll even get little silicone 'plugs' that have a cutout for cable so it helps prevent excess heat loss. The only other thing is depending on which probes you have you MAY have to buy a straight temp probe vs the angles ones so they fit through the port. I know some people have bent them to fit but I just bought straight probes (I have a Thermoworks Q so they are the thermocouple connectors. I think the 'pro' connectors fit fine though.. I can't remember). 

I have the Pro probes (came with the signals device) so I hope they fit. If not I can get straight ones. 

1 hour ago, Cheesehead_Griller said:

Would this fit through the port hole? It may be the determining factor if I buy the Fireboard 2 Pro or Fireboard 2 Drive. 

TypeK-Ambient-Probe.png

yes, i have (or had) the same probe. you just pull out the clip with some pressure. and slip it back. gently squeeze the clip with some pliers if it gets too loose. 

this probe failed on me and fb says they only have 6 months warranty. 

so i bought thermoworks probes instead. thermoworks seems to have better construction and a huge selection of thermocouple probes. they also have a silicon spool that fits the +- plug nicely. magnetic too...

image.thumb.png.0993026c9f912fe98443368e0b7bcf52.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Wobster said:

I just ordered a 32BB and am really excited to get it here! 
I own a Thermoworks signals temperature monitoring system. I also own a meater but really only use that for rotisserie cooking. 
My question is incredibly simple. Do you run your probe leads out between the gasket (like I do with my BGE and Traegers) or is there a port for that? I assume through the gasket but there seems to be some ports and I don’t know if they are amenable to that. Probably really obvious if it was in front of me, but I have a two month wait so thought I’d ask. 

Which tile did you order? I have a 32" that should be here soon. I went with the cobalt blue square tile. This will be my first kamado style grill. 

Edited by Cheesehead_Griller
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Wobster said:

I have the Pro probes (came with the signals device) so I hope they fit. If not I can get straight ones. 

If they're like the default probes that came with my signals, you'll have to straighten them a bit for them to go thru the port. KKs walls are thick; I don't think any probe with a 90° bend will go thru. I carefully bent my signals probes and my BBQ Guru probes by sticking them in between the slats on my KK side table up to the probe bend and gently pulling them straight enough to go thru the port. If you use pliers, be careful to not squeeze the probes too tightly and crimping them.

• Like 1

Wobster, as time goes on the challenge to do a cook falls ever so much to technology items that either control your fire or monitor your piece. The only probe I "may" employ during a cook is one that displays the grate temp, if you know that, well you know what your meat is doing. If you continue to rely on these pieces they will make you dependent, I've always been a sort of independent sort of shit myself. Wait a second, in my draw I have the ThermoPro, it tells you instantly what your meat is doing, it makes you get out of your chair to check the temp, a unique item to ah, say the least. Getting to a point where your comfortable/congenial/warm requires you to allow these pieces to be used as trainers and then set aside for a cook where difficulty/problems/complexity may come into view. That may require a few weeks, you have the ability....oohh we all do, it's there my friend, check it out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,in a couple of weeks of course.

• Like 2

Tyrus speaks the truth. I use my remote setup for overnight cooks. After a while you'll learn the vent settings to get the temperatures you need.  Keep in mind that it's BBQ...you don't need it to be exactly 240 or 275 the whole cook. Close enough is close enough. Have fun but don't depend on the gizmos. 

• Like 3

The BB32 is so easy to keep a steady temp.  Much easier than either of my previous ceramic style cookers. But for anything over 5 or 6 hours I will use a controller just as others have mentioned, so I can go about my business without having to even think about my cook.

• Like 2