Caroline

New owner

Hi there - my name is Caroline and I just received my 32” big bad. I am so excited to get started but it is still only slightly unpacked. Hubby is interstate for work and I will most likely need to complete the unpacking myself. Any tips for a woman to get it off the pallet unpacked and set up ready to use or should I get some help? Many thanks 🙏🏻 

Welcome @Caroline.  I think someone has reported unpacking his 32 on his own but said it was difficult to do so.  Do you need to move it at all or is it already close to the final location?  I would suggest that you need at least one other person and possibly two.  Just lifting off the crate needs two people given the size of the 32 and having someone to work with you to steady the beast as you roll it off the pallet is essential. Good luck and don't rush this critical phase!

• Like 1

You have to approach this scientifically, first open a can of beer.  Actually, that comes later, always getting that out of order. Hold everything, it's best to wait, that beast is heavy and certainly requires some help, two heads are better than one, and a third in this case is added insurance. It's a moment to share, can't hog it all to yourself. Good luck

• Haha 1

All good advice. The ramp you need is the top of the crate the KK is in. It's pretty heavy to lift since you're starting at shoulder hight. You didn't mention if you have two crates...one with the body of the smoker and another with the lid inside. The lid weighs 193 pounds, so yes, you'll need help. Good luck and as someone else said, you may have a member here that lives close by what would help you out. 

Thank you everyone- your responses are really appreciated. The bbq is where it needs to be but is facing the wrong way. 

I have my son coming over today to help me. I live in Melbourne Australia and I don’t think too many Australians have a Komodo Kamado. 

I can’t wait to get it set up and begin using it. I will do more reading and viewing of videos etc first. Thank you all for your help. 

here is a pic of my beast 

4ED5453A-53DD-4CD8-91C3-886E80A931EF.jpeg

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Thank you everyone- your responses are really appreciated. The bbq is where it needs to be but is facing the wrong way. 

I have my son coming over today to help me. I live in Melbourne Australia and I don’t think too many Australians have a Komodo Kamado. 

I can’t wait to get it set up and begin using it. I will do more reading and viewing of videos etc first. Thank you all for your help. 

Welcome to the obsession Caroline; I'm also in Melbourne. There are a few of us on the forum from this part of the world. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tyrus said:

Wait a second, how big is Melbourne? It looks like your average neighborhood area, north, south, east and west a stones throw from the corner. 

Melbourne is actually quite big- around 5 million people, and similar overall area to Greater London.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Caroline said:

Brings back very fond memories of the day my BB arrived. Very nice looking @Caroline

Beautiful kk, Caroline. You'll need to collapse the "box" that is in the center underneath the cooker before you can roll it off. Just make sure to roll it off on the side of the pallet where it is reinforced with a strength member.  If you look at the pallet itself and there's just a big empty rectangle on that side, don't roll it off there!  Look for the rectangle that has a support right in the middle. Dennis may chime in but I believe that the side that says "roll it off here" has the opposite side reinforced so you can roll it off backwards. If you take a photo of the pallet in the back, we may be able to figure it out. But I'll bet a dollar to a donut that you can roll it off backwards. 

On 4/6/2022 at 10:05 AM, remi said:

Welcome to the obsession Caroline; I'm also in Melbourne. There are a few of us on the forum from this part of the world. 

Oh Remi - how wonderful. How long have you had your KK? 
not sure where in Melbourne you are but I am in the outer east - Ferntree Gully. 

On 4/6/2022 at 10:11 AM, Tyrus said:

Wait a second, how big is Melbourne? It looks like your average neighborhood area, north, south, east and west a stones throw from the corner. 

Hi Tyrus - Melbourne has approximately 5million people- compared to the US we have a tiny population in Australia. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Caroline said:

Oh Remi - how wonderful. How long have you had your KK? 
not sure where in Melbourne you are but I am in the outer east - Ferntree Gully. 

Hi Caroline- it's been almost a year. Was in Brunswick when we purchased it, but then bought a new place just before Christmas... in Westgarth (the tiny south pocket of Northcote). The KK survived the move, but is stuck outside the garage until I can get my builder to come over with some ply, and a few extra bodies to move it into place (which will also require temporary dismantling of the pool fence). Hope you are enjoying the setup. 

• Like 1