mguerra

Gasket Maintenance

Anytime you can reasonably and safely do so, decompress any seals and gaskets you have. For the KK, when the fire is out, move the lid latch to position one and pop the top vent loose. Gaskets last longer if you can decompress them. Washing machine door, dryer door, dishwasher door, scuba regulator, fishing reel drag, needle valves, anything with a gasket or o-ring that you don’t have to tighten down on all the time, don’t. When reasonable, I leave the KK lid fully open. Look around at all your stuff and you’ll find applications for this concept. For example, I keep a spare Polaris backup valve for the pool. There’s an o-ring in the case halves and in the outlet for the reverse jet. I keep it disassembled with a coating of waterproof grease on these o-rings. I only reassemble it and compress the o-rings when I put it in service. When you take your garden hoses out of service for the season, release them from the spigots to decompress the o-rings and if you have any quick connects with o-rings, release them. Pelican or Seahorse cases, plastic ammo boxes, the list is endless. Look around and you’ll find lots of seals and o-rings you can extend the life on.

• Like 1

I look for a 50F or more temperature drop in the dome as my indicator that the fire has gone out. Usually by the time that dinner is over and cleaned up. Then, I open the top vent and lid to the 1st position, pull the dome thermometer (winter) and put the cover on it. 

4 hours ago, tony b said:

I look for a 50F or more temperature drop in the dome as my indicator that the fire has gone out. Usually by the time that dinner is over and cleaned up. Then, I open the top vent and lid to the 1st position, pull the dome thermometer (winter) and put the cover on it. 

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I was told by numerous KK owners that they leave the lid in the 1st position and unscrew the top vent a bit while the grill isn't being used. 

• Like 1