yihyng

How to smoke an oyster blade roast?

Hi I found this cut of roast at my neighbourhood butchery and I was wondering if any of you have come across it being smoked as a roast? It’s a 3kg+ (7lb) in size.

Should I try and do it like a cut of brisket? It seems to tough but flavourful. Any advice would be appreciated so that there is a bit less trial and error cooking it.

8 hours ago, tony b said:

OK, learned something new today. I'd never heard of this cut of beef, so I had to look it up. Low and behold, this is where the Flat Iron steak comes from! 

Wow, that video made my evening.

I find it painful watching cooking videos where the presenter is clearly hobbled by a lack of manual dexterity. This was clearly not that; the guy's knife work was mesmerizing.

Can one actually buy the dull knife he uses for the center silver skin?

There are some friends I could ask, but I think he meant duller than that.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

What did you put on to accomplish the bark?  Also the fat removed looked like a good addition for a sausage from the video.

I just did a simple Dalmatian rub (1/3 salt 2/3 black pepper) which I used as a dry rub for 24hrs and smoked it in my Komodo Kamado over 8hours. Sawdust charcoal and some apple wood chips. I did trim off the bottom fascia layer but left the top fat completely intact which mostly melted and rendered which kept the meat very nice and moist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2