David Chang

marathon run on the 19 TT

well, i've heard about the insanely long burn times on the KK prior to buying one, so i decided to see if it was true. 

after my pastrami cook, i decided to keep the grill on as long as possible and see how long it will maintain 250f or above on a full tank of charcoal

Charcoal: Lump. (around 8lbs or 4 kg) This is a full basket for my grill.

Controller: FB 2 Pro

Fan: Pit Viper

Time Start: Tuesday, 9:16 AM

Time End: Wednesday 9:43 PM

Total Time: 1 day, 12 hours, 27 minutes

this was $5 USD worth of charcoal. tit's some kind of obscure supermarket brand of lump tree branch type hardwood. usually this stuff is from china or indonesia where i am from. but it can be had in anywhere in hk.

there were times when i held at 270f overnight and towards the end, i had to restart the last remaining bits of unspent charcoal with a torch, temp spiked to 325f, but i think if i didn't have these deviations and tried to hold even lower, say 225f, i think i would still be running the grill over 48 hours. fireboard sessions will end in 24 hours so thats why there are two graphs.

pretty amazing kamado i got here. i think those of you who have even bigger kk's can run your grills for a week..

image.thumb.png.bbb0e66dcee396fa91283bd21cd6bd51.png

image.thumb.png.e1e5cc185e675884d3cf3305911f2ee2.png

image.thumb.png.a925504659de59b1d6e61ad6c9589509.png

• Like 6

Just opened a new bag of Jealous Devil. It's a new one called Chunx. It's XL pieces. I like the size of it - mostly what I would call Large, with a few XL pieces (similar to FOGO), not a lot of smalls. I'm assuming that it is the same charcoal as regular JD? I'll know later today, as I'm doing a rack of ribs for dinner. 

• Like 1