David Chang

new toy - dough sheeter

my wife keeps complaining that i never make croissant breads.

well, it's a pain in the ass thats why..

in case you didn't know, a dough sheeter expedites the laminating process when making croissant dough. 

to laminate croissant dough, you need to roll a flat sheet of cold butter on dough and fold it several times so you get that flakey texture you get with viennoiserie once it bakes. but i think its a real pain to do this by hand and i prefer to just go to a bakery..

so this machine is on the way and i can't wait to make pain au chocolate and pain au raisins....

• Like 1

Can I use this to roll pasta dough thin enough for dumpling wrappers? For example a honeycomb pattern using a circle cutter?

It's a bit pricey, but I'm also thinking layered flat breads such as paratha or roti.

Ramen noodles involve kansui and less water than one might think. The dough gets very stiff. Too much for a standard pasta maker to easily handle. Will I break this machine?

Explore the design space, this tool's reach will exceed tradition, so one's ambitions should also exceed tradition. When I bought my first food processor forty years ago, I played with it. If you blend eggs for five minutes before making an omelette, you get an omelette that looks like it belongs in a Sci Fi movie.

Edited by Syzygies
  • Haha 1

@Syzygies i made a screen grab of the step adjustments to the roller. looks like 1mm is the thinnest you can go. but this is a manual crank, so i'm not sure how much effort it will be to push dough through the smallest setting. 

what does an omelette look like after blending eggs for 5 min?

edit: the larger sheeter model can adjust by 0.5mm from 0 to 27mm

image.thumb.png.b35b73d0cff17f1815edf43670be2df4.png

Edited by David Chang
  • Like 1

I'm going to have to look into one of these sheeters. I got into a Croissant kick last fall and made a good.. 15 batches (and got pretty good at it if I do say so myself) but a sheeter would make things SO much easier! Taking a quick look at the website.. it looks like order these is not exactly the easiest thing in the world. How did you find the process?

2 minutes ago, Jadeite said:

I'm going to have to look into one of these sheeters. I got into a Croissant kick last fall and made a good.. 15 batches (and got pretty good at it if I do say so myself) but a sheeter would make things SO much easier! Taking a quick look at the website.. it looks like order these is not exactly the easiest thing in the world. How did you find the process?

they are in japan but i had no trouble communicating with them. you basically go to the website to select the model you want and they will email you a quote with the shipping to your location. if you are agreeable, they will send you a payment form. few days later i received the product via UPS. they have a larger model if you think you will make more than 8 pieces at a time..

3 minutes ago, David Chang said:

they are in japan but i had no trouble communicating with them. you basically go to the website to select the model you want and they will email you a quote with the shipping to your location. if you are agreeable, they will send you a payment form. few days later i received the product via UPS. they have a larger model if you think you will make more than 8 pieces at a time..

Yeah I am looking at the website now (watching videos) and I actually think I'd go for the larger one for a BIG reason.. I love how the larger one folds into a little metal briefcase for easier storage. I wish I had this back in the fall!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Poochie said:

Every time I see dough sheeter I think of a sick baby deer. But I'd still like to have one.

My husband usually laughs at your terrible jokes @Poochie.  He did not laugh at this one though.  He was distracted by the need to explain to me that a baby deer is a fawn and not a doe.  Oh well, you can’t win ‘em all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hoping David will reply.  I am thinking about getting one of these.   

What are your thoughts on the sheeter now that you have had it awhile?  

Are you happy with the size or do you wish you had gotten the larger model? 

Have you used it roll anything under 3mm and if so how does it do?  Im wondering if it could roll to 1 mm.

Is there anything you don't like about it?

On 11/8/2022 at 9:13 AM, CindyO said:

Hoping David will reply.  I am thinking about getting one of these.   

What are your thoughts on the sheeter now that you have had it awhile?  

Are you happy with the size or do you wish you had gotten the larger model? 

Have you used it roll anything under 3mm and if so how does it do?  Im wondering if it could roll to 1 mm.

Is there anything you don't like about it?

Hi, sorry for the late response. I sold this thing a few months ago. Why? I was thinking of getting the larger model because the smaller model was a little too small to make homemade viennoiserie worth while. Then as time passed, i decided to not get it at all because it's just too much work for something I don't eat that often. I would just hand roll these on chilled marble if I were to make more. 

I dunno what you plan to roll but 1mm is not realistic. Plan on 3mm as a minimum.