Emmanuil

Heat deflector cold spot

Recent 32 KK owner with second cook here. Did 3 pork rib racks on main grate with foil deflector on lower grate 250-285deg. I don't think the foil deflector was too large and most of the burning lumb was under foil. Realized toward the end that there was a cold spot in middle of deflector area. KK was heat soaked. Any advice besides rotating ribs? I was thinking using for a heat deflector a grate designed to let convected heat through but not radiant heat as in the attached pic. I'm guessing I can find one but any tips are welcome. Seems people do t have issues with using foil so maybe I was doing something wrong.

20220519_134232.jpg

Just to be clear - are you saying that the rack of ribs in the center of the grate didn't cook as fast as the outside 2? Did you have space between them for air flow? Maybe a vertical rib rack would be a better solution than the deflector design that you proposed (which would work, btw). 

Yes, thats correct, the rack of ribs in center of grill over the center of the foil cooked substantially slower. I had about an inch or two of space between the racks. I was just a bit surprised, expecting the temps to be more evenly distributed on low and slow cook but I think there was more air flow (convection) with the two outside racks. Just wondering how people manage this besides rotating the meat location. 

Your diagram looks like flavorizer bars from a Weber gas grill. I have a 32 and haven’t experienced uneven cooking you mentioned. I use the heavy foil steamer size pans from Costco for a “shield”. I’ve used it for a few chickens and ribs too. I can’t figure out what might have happened in your case. 

I'd look harder at how you built your fire and where did you light it. for a low and slow you want big chunks of lump on the bottom then medium sized chunks over that and then some smalls on top. Then I will typically light in the center and let the fire work it's way to the outsides on it's own for a really long cook. I am 14 hours into a pork shoulder right now and i took a couple pics as i was filling my basket.

IMG_6155.jpeg

IMG_6153.jpeg

IMG_6152.jpeg

IMG_6176.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Emmanuil said:

This was useful feedback from everyone. Thank you! I haven't done that many cooks so I'll keep an eye out. I'm guessing it was something I did that caused it. 

BTW @C6Bill, where did you get that charcoal? Looks like binchotan type charcoal

It is called Wicked Good Weekend Warrior. we can get it at our local Ace Hardware. Place the order online and they have it in store within a few days.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, C6Bill said:

It is called Wicked Good Weekend Warrior. we can get it at our local Ace Hardware. Place the order online and they have it in store within a few days.

Will try to get some. How does it compare to Fogo? I buy charcoal that looks like that for my Konro tabletop grill (yakitori and Korean bbq) and it is WAY harder to light but burns 3 to 5x longer than regular charcoal. When you hit two pieces together, it sounds like glass. Unfortunately, very expensive. 

8 hours ago, C6Bill said:

Tried to look it up and pictures of it look like regular lump, not the big round logs I see in your picture...

27 minutes ago, C6Bill said:

No, there has been no change to Weekend Warrior. Every bag I have ever gotten is just like you see in my picture. I think I bought that bag two months ago, I typically buy 4 at a time.

Thanks! Gonna get me some! 

Below is what apparently it looked like in 2005 but that's a long time ago (as opposed to above link 2021). 

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag54.htm

As I drove past the local Ace Hardware today, I thought to myself, I need to stop in there and see if I can order the Weekend Warrior charcoal and have it delivered here. I've always been a fan and I haven't been able to get it here for years now. 

• Like 2

😢 I placed an order with Ace online for 2 bags of Weekend Warrior, with a delivery date of tomorrow (28th). Got an email yesterday afternoon saying that my order had been cancelled. I enquired to find out why. Customer service said that it was due to a stock shortage, but the online store said it was "in stock." WTF? I'm going to wait a couple of weeks and try again. 🤞

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1