LedHed

My "tuned" PID controller.

My first overnight cook on the new KK.

Setup:

• Grill: KK32
    • Top Vent: 1/8th turn, (just after the gasket lets go of its grip)
    • Bottom Vents: Closed
  • Controller: HeaterMeter
    • PID_Settings.png.8f1ab50c327090a3fc125b6116d7126a.png
    • Note: I'm not using the Damper/Servo
  • Probes
  • Fan: BBQ Guru Pit Bull
  • Fuel:
    • Royal Oak Lump Charcoal
    • Diamond Strike-a-Fire (fire starter)
    • KK CoffeeChar

I started with a clean KK (ash removed), I had about a quarter basked of leftover / semi-burned lump which I spread evenly across the bottom of the basket. I then laid a Strike-a-Fire on top of the used coal, positioning it on the right side of the grill (opposite the fan intake).  I then laid 3 large pieces of CoffeeChar on top of the fire starter. After that I filled the basked up with medium & large Royal Oak lump (smalls sifted out).  I lit the fire starter and let it burn wide open for about 10 minutes, then I connected the HeaterMeter & fan, placed the top grate, drip pan (as heat deflector), and raised grate, connecting the pit probe to the raised grate. At 10:08pm I set the HeaterMeter setpoint to 225°F, closed the lid and let it work its magic. By 10:36pm the pit probe was reading 226°F (~1°F overshoot), and by 10:39pm it had stabilized to 225°F (±2°F) where it stayed for roughly 15 hours.  When I pulled the food I still had about 2/3 of a basket of coal left.  I used the 3 pieces of CoffeeChar because they were larger and denser than the Royal Oak. I wanted something that would burn long and slow through the night so I wouldn't have to worry about getting up and relighting the grill. Considering how slow the rest of the lump burned, I don't think the CoffeeChar was necessary, then again, the fire didn't go out, so worth it even if just for piece of mind.

134333.thumb.jpg.e0f870bbcf74293fb0304ffbc5d12254.jpg

Orange:  Pit temperature

Grey: Ambient temperature

Blue Shading: Fan percentage

Yellow Shading:  Lid open

Edited by LedHed
Add labels for graph.

I cooked Deep Pit Beef (adapted to the Kamado). You can read more about it here.

There isn't much to look at, it's basically a beef roast sealed in foil and cooked low-n-slow for 12+ hours. It's popular (or was) at California fairs and rodeos. Rather than dig a 4 ft deep hole in my backyard, I used the KK.

It's kind of like beef pot roast meets pulled pork. It's great by itself or on a bun. Would make for good tacos and enchiladas also.

Seasoning is basically 50/50 prime rib rub and black pepper.

It turned out well so I'll be doing it again soon. I'll make sure to take some pics and post in KK Cooking.

• Like 4