BARDSLJR

Country-style pork ribs- cooking suggestions and "done" temp?

Folks,

Came home from Costco ( Australian friends: "Costco"is a GIANT grocery cooperative with massive purchasing and distribution power, which typically sells items at only a percentage point or two above cost. They also have excellent-by and large- meat, and good wine/ liquor deals in the municipalities that allow them to sell liquor.) with two three-packs of babyback ribs (am happy to report the price is down by $.80, to $3.69/lb or so) and a massive package of country-style pork ribs. I plan on cooking the latter tomorrow with the babybacks, in the 225-250* (F) range.

Question: what would be an optimal temp for " done"? 200-205* like a pork butt?  Would you bother to wrap them? Any suggestions for cooking method of these pretty mammoth slabs of pork?

Love me some CostCo! As noted, great buys on meats (especially Prime) and booze. 

Country style ribs are just thick pork chop slices, so think of them that way. I wouldn't wrap them and would cook them to 185F to keep them juicy but done enough to break down the fat and cartilage. 

Poochie, we've never not had both spare ribs and babybacks at our Denver Costco's. I was getting the spare ribs for a while when the price on the babybacks got up so high ($4.69!!!) but now they are down to $3.79 or so and the spare ribs are the same  (first time I have seen them priced the same.) I quite liked the spare ribs as well- quite a bit more meat on the bone.

BTW, the babaybacks came out nearly perfect, and the country-style ribs were FABULOUS- with so much surface area for the rub and smoke, they were like a cross between the best smoked pork chop ever and burnt ends. I took some of the smaller crispier pieces and dipped them into a new batch of my barbecue sauce (see separate post) and it was eys-roll-back-in-you-head-and-see-God level good.  I wish I had taken pics to post. I cooked both the babybacks and the country-style ribs at 225-235* for four hours, used apple wood for the smoke.

• Like 2

Always found country style ribs when packed at the store to show the pretty meaty side up, giving you the impression that the whole of the package is that way, not the case. You can be disappointed with the amount of fat unseen. So this is why I cook them at 275 for quite a while to render out a good portion of that with a sweeter rub, then while were still at 275 a good sweet sauce is basted on a few times so as not to burn the sugar. CSR one of the few bargains still remaining on the shelf, done right can't be beat.