David Chang

Bincho Grill

https://binchogrill.com/collections/grills 

i have the 24" model. t

compressed bamboo charcoal sticks worked pretty well, so now i don't need expensive binchotan.

the tare i made is new so it wasn't too thick, but it was damn tasty. the chicken was so good..ehh..

i need to work on the skewering. not enough meat will burn the skewer.

skewers roll around if unbalanced.

skewers too short will burn your hands when picking up..

very fun to cook on. 

image.thumb.png.651974bf146c31fcd6dfb8a4b1b405ac.png

image.thumb.png.96f42206fb3f442ec41a01ea97930245.png

image.thumb.png.3eb52bf5b2e87c6a0a69001eaceb344f.png

image.thumb.png.53e5f923cf0e7bcfa4202d2c5d8763bf.png

• Like 8

yes, it's very nice, all aluminum construction with the inner lining that lifts out with the ash so cleanup is easy.  this does not have diatomite lining like other konro grills, but the charcoal lasts a surprising long time and cooks evenly. 

i just wish i had a slightly larger cart. the grill feet sticks out to the right and i need to balance it out with some ceramic blocks, but other than that, i'm quite happy with it..

• Like 1

my wife has a ladies night out and i'm left alone with my bincho grill. 

made some skewers of:

iberian secreto (a very, very fatty part of the pork armpit)

yellow croaker (fish)

japanese eggplant

cuttlefish balls

corn

i think if anyone here is on the fence about getting one of these, or any konro grill, just go for it. i stood on my balcony over an hour grilling and eating and it felt like i ate $200 worth of skewers for a few bucks. you don't need expensive cuts of meat. you do need to prep them properly. you really want to make your own tare and reuse it as long as possible

. and this is not the kind of cooking to walk away from. but man this is so good...

image.thumb.png.d4f430a76b058038633cffb5dc64f788.png

image.thumb.png.b2c28137ca3f4d88c619c5f069a4ca82.png

image.thumb.png.93ccbeafa11f32105f7dc5d979007a7d.png

image.thumb.png.fc6acefa73a0f3b6c6a45432128d296c.png

image.thumb.png.0397a6cdbc000602a5e9e0b50fd419c8.png

• Like 9

made some spanish casina (similar to old breed rubia gallega) rib eye yakitori's tonight. 

after handling and skewering the beef, my hands still smell like raw beef. it's pungent but sweet and has some beautiful streaky marbling..

this is unlike any farmed beef you can buy in the shop. it tastes like a wild cow. almost feral..

image.thumb.png.e5944b867cf55512a48189e4589e44c3.png

image.thumb.png.17c5e389e1b7d7ca1adc392fb95cbd16.png

• Like 8

My recent trip down the yakitori rabbit hole has me thinking about trying to rig something up in my kk basket to be able to get skewers nice and close over the coals. I’m thinking I’d need something similar to the basket splitter to cover all but one section of the bottom (one of the middle quarters, for example), then maybe a few fire bricks across which I could lay the skewers, with Bincho or other coal between the bricks. I wonder if the coals would get enough oxygen in a setup like this to put off enough heat for decent skewers.

An experiment for the future. I’ll have plenty of other things to cook first when my KK arrives, but something to try nonetheless

1 hour ago, Seasport said:

David, still liking the Bincho grill? Do you have a recipe for Tare or just use one from the internet?

Regards

yes, i love it. after coming back from japan and looking at all the yakitori grills there, i feel like my bincho is still perfect for my use. if you are in the market for one, and new to yakitori grilling, keep in mind only half or 3/4  of the grill can realistically used. one half for cooking, the other half for resting or letting flareups burn out.

i use yakitoriguy's tare recipe on youtube.