BigO

Steak for 10 on 32

for 10 people why does everyone need to have their own individual steak? I would do 3x bone-in tomahawk rib eyes approx 2" thick using a reverse sear.

presentation of the sliced steak alongside the bones will be more impressive than individual plates and its much easier to execute than 10 individual steaks

6 hours ago, Munschie said:

for 10 people why does everyone need to have their own individual steak? I would do 3x bone-in tomahawk rib eyes approx 2" thick using a reverse sear.

presentation of the sliced steak alongside the bones will be more impressive than individual plates and its much easier to execute than 10 individual steaks

It’s a good idea, did t think of that, but I have 10 steaks to works with for tomorrow night!

I’ve never done that many at one time but this is how I would 

get temp to 250 and stable

put in lowest grate with a drip pan 

put in upper grate 

put on all 10 steaks and get an internal temp of 115 

pull off steaks to rest and remove upper grate and drip pan

open vents all the way and get good flames going, let steaks rest at least 10 minutes, 15 would be better

sear the steaks on the lower grate until you get the internal temp your guests prefer

On 7/8/2022 at 10:07 AM, 5698k said:

I’ve done 10 on my 23. Lower grate, 750° dome. 3.5 minutes per side for 1.5” thick ribeyes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How big were the steaks in terms of width?  I am really interested in one of the 23” grills, but wasn’t sure what kind of capacity it has.  It’s good to see some other Louisiana folks here.  Go Saints.

• Like 1

Width wise, they were bigger as opposed to smaller. That said, while the 23 is very capable, it can’t match the real estate of the 32. The 32 wasn’t available when I bought mine. If the 32 isn’t for you, I can’t recommend the 23 enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank for all the great ideas. I did a one minute turn 90 deg, flip 2 minute and adjust based on desired finish. NY strips were about 1.5” thick and turned out great. Temping was tougher than usual even with the thermapen one. Great results and beautiful grill marks

• Like 2

On 7/10/2022 at 12:04 AM, oklahoma76 said:

How big were the steaks in terms of width?  I am really interested in one of the 23” grills, but wasn’t sure what kind of capacity it has.  It’s good to see some other Louisiana folks here.  Go Saints.

The 32" is more of a grill that smokes and the 23" is a smoker that can grill.

If you want to smoke/cook low and slow, brisket, butts and ribs..  the 23" Ultimate has great capacity.. it can do 5-7 pork butts / 40 + lbs of meat. More than most residences will ever need.

If you want to "Grill" for a 6 or more the 23" is limited by its size. You just can't throw on 6-8 steaks at once...  Remember that grilling is direct heat straight up from the charcoal and because the girls have a firebox there's a 3 to 4 inch area on the outside of the great that is d simply not "grilling" hot.  There is definitely a grilling sweet spot on the grates.
This means the 23 inch grill has a 15 to 17 inch sweet spot in the center of the main grate and 13 to 15 on the lower grate.

The 32" and 42" are full size grills, I define a full size as 22" front to back.  Full size gas grills start at 32 " and run into the low 60's.  32" is the smallest full size gas grill.  They have more low and slow capacity than most will ever need. The 32" is no slower nor does it use noticeably more fuel.  There is a charcoal basket splitter/reducer that lets you do small cooks using only a portion of the charcoal basket.

That being said, if you want to work a bit you could reverse sear 6-8 steaks and then brown them up three at a time on a 23".
Gets the job done, but there is a reason there are no 23" gas grills on the market.. it's too small as a "grill".

Many (most) people want to be able to throw 6 full size steaks on at once and pull them off together.. this is the reason I now sell 2.5X more 32's than 23's..

• Like 1