djami

How much lump charcoal?

Getting ready to cook brisket for the first time in a KK 32.  Question:  how much lump charcoal should I put in the basket to maintain the desired temperature throughout the long cook time?  I know the easy answer is "fill up the basket."  But is that the right answer?   

Do you have the basket divider? If so, I only use the moon shaped plate and fill the basket up to the top. Place some large pieces in the bottom and then cover the top with smaller pieces. Don't be shy with the lump. It's a total PITA to refill the charcoal halfway or near the end of the cook. Trust me. As a new KK owner, I've made the mistake of not using enough lump. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cheesehead_Griller said:

Do you have the basket divider? If so, I only use the moon shaped plate and fill the basket up to the top. Place some large pieces in the bottom and then cover the top with smaller pieces. Don't be shy with the lump. It's a total PITA to refill the charcoal halfway or near the end of the cook. Trust me. As a new KK owner, I've made the mistake of not using enough lump. 

Good tip on using bigs for the bottom then smaller ones on top. That's one of the things I've been trying to improve because I've had trouble with the smalls clogging up airflow and then it seems like I need the vents open too much to get the temps I'm trying to get. I was wondering how to employ the smalls so they wouldn't just go to waste.

Agree with CaptMorg82 - in my experience the key is more with charcoal size and distribution than it is about how much charcoal.  I always cook with a full basket but its important to ensure there are some good sized chunks at the bottom that allow smooth airflow.  This also means taking care to dig down and redistribute the unburned charcoal between cooks to ensure the small bits clogging the basket grate are out of the way (at least in the centre).  The only times I've had issues with my fire are times i've been lazy on that step.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the comments.  Looks like size matters.  Mae West will agree to that!  Also reference "You can't put too much charcoal in the basket."  Not sure I agree with your much appreciated comment.  Logistics always comes into play.  Too much charcoal could lead to not only waste but also problems maintaining a constant temperature throughout the long brisket cook.  Hope to tackle my first brisket this weekend if we have good weather.  

Yes, I have a basket divider - thanks for the good tip.

By the way ... maybe someone should do a YouTube video on the basic KK things.  There are many videos showing various KK cooks but few on basics such as charcoal levels, how to regulate temperature, and other basic but helpful stuff.  The ultimate KK video would be someone following the KK user's manual in a video.  If we can do the basics, the rest is gravy ... or the drippings!

Thanks again.

djami

Nokesville, Virginia

On 7/11/2022 at 10:16 AM, Cheesehead_Griller said:

Just remember, lump charcoal can be reused. So if starting with a full basket for a short cook, just close off the vents and use the remaining coal next time. Even stuff that was lit can be used again. That's why people recommend almost always just starting with a full basket. It's just easier to have it and not need it rather than try to refill on the fly. I would imagine you'll get more consistency in temps too rather than changing the basket size all the time. I've seen recommendations that if you want to do low and slow, just light one spot. If you are looking to do higher temp baking/searing then light two spots and get more charcoal going. I'm also a new KK owner so I'm getting things down myself but that's what I've gleaned from lurking around the forum for awhile.

On 7/11/2022 at 11:46 AM, CaptMorg82 said:

Good tip on using bigs for the bottom then smaller ones on top. That's one of the things I've been trying to improve because I've had trouble with the smalls clogging up airflow and then it seems like I need the vents open too much to get the temps I'm trying to get. I was wondering how to employ the smalls so they wouldn't just go to waste.

For the smalls use them on your hot and fast such as when spatchcocking a chicken or searing a steak

2 hours ago, djami said:

Too much charcoal could lead to not only waste but also problems maintaining a constant temperature throughout the long brisket cook. 

You may want to listen to Tony, he knows what he is talking about 👍

Too much charcoal will not lead to waste or make it harder to maintain temps. The opposite is true, without enough charcoal you will battle temps and make this harder than it needs to be.

And here are a few pics I took when building a fire for a low and slow, it was a 20 pound pork shoulder that took about 18 hours to cook. I never once had to touch the lump during this cook, hope it helps.

image.thumb.jpeg.6c16760f55817fd730969acca8129912.jpeg

IMG_6153.jpeg

IMG_6154.jpeg

IMG_6155.jpeg

IMG_6183.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Larger pieces in the middle and smaller pieces AROUND THE OUTSIDE NEAR THE FIREBOX..
NEVER IN THE MIDDLE.
Charcoal always burns at the maximum volume for the allowed airflow.. Too hot reduce airflow and the volume burning will be reduced and vice versa.
Volume of charcoal in the basket has nothing to do with temps, unless you run out! 

Gentlemen,

Thanks very much for your input on about how much lump charcoal to use for BBQing brisket.  I used everyone's advice and cooked my first brisket last Friday.  Did the lump charcoal as Dennis and others instructed.  Cooked at about 200 degrees to about 275 degrees in the end.  Sat outside most of the time monitoring the temperature and drinking gin & tonic ... gin & guava juice ... and gin.  The cook went for about 11 hours and ended around 11:00 PM.  Put the butcher paper wrapped brisket in a cooker and let it rest until about 10:00 the next morning.  To my surprise, my cooler lid would not open.  But opened the drain plug which released the pressure.  The brisket was still very warm and all the juice reabsorbed into the meat during the rest period.  The meat was very tender.  Altho this was my first brisket, it was by far my best BBQ in over 40 years --- THANKS TO KK!  I like this Mad Scientist video too ... even if he uses an offset smoker -

1st brisket August19 -2022.JPEG

• Like 3

Thanks tony b.  I find the Mad Scientist very informative and is unlike many U-tube guys or girls because he actually describes in an organized way, the steps and the processes within the process of BBQing ... if you know what I mean.  His presentation is polished and does not goof around too much.  His diction is professional sounding.  Most of all, he does not play any of that annoying cheezy music in the background.  It would be super fantastic if he redid that video using a KK! 

• Thanks 1