Siu

Searing a steak

I see all these beautiful pictures of steaks that are seared with a nice brown caramelized crust.  I have not been able to get that.  My husband feels that the lowest grate isn't low enough.  He gets the grill as high as possible, but the minute he opens it to use it, it loses heat.  How are you all doing this?  We cooked a 1" 3/4 steak porterhouse yesterday and got the sear marks, but not the brown caramelization.  What's the secret? Thx

One trick is to make sure that there's no moisture on the surface of the meat. Blot it off with a paper towel just before tossing on the sear grate (upper grate turned upside down on the charcoal basket handles.) Moisture creates steam, which prevents the browning that you're looking for. 

• Like 1

I see all these beautiful pictures of steaks that are seared with a nice brown caramelized crust.  I have not been able to get that.  My husband feels that the lowest grate isn't low enough.  He gets the grill as high as possible, but the minute he opens it to use it, it loses heat.  How are you all doing this?  We cooked a 1" 3/4 steak porterhouse yesterday and got the sear marks, but not the brown caramelization.  What's the secret? Thx

Siu fill the basket and flip the lowest grate upside down. The steak will be an inch off the flame…… it’s pretty hot down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1