braindoc

Hot Horseradish Sauce recommendations

Sorry I have never heard of them although I just googled and found them.  Horseradish does lose potency very quickly.  If you can get fresh horseradish where you are my suggestion would be to buy some and make your own horseradish sauce fresh.  I just bought a root yesterday and made some beetroot and horseradish pickle today.  First time and I need to wait a while for it to mature.

• Like 5

I do like my horseradish too, the frig always has a bottle. For good horseradish I go to the Polish store for the imported variety and am never disappointed. To get the hot stuff the fresh root is best, for cutting and flavor I use sour cream and honey. Hot is an odd term since it affects the nose the most and not your tongue. Your correct Tekebo about potency and time, so if you like it hot eat it up quickly. Nothing like horseradish on a good piece of Kielbasa, they dance well together.

• Like 4

Acquiring a taste, you have to build up a tolerance, it's what some would have to do to enjoy this marvelous root. I remember as a child the contests some of us had to see whom could eat the biggest spoon, today the challenge is water over the dam. Either I burned out all those receptors or my tolerance level is sky high. Kind of like Toney here, he loves the ghost peppers and habanero's, his tolerance came from constant exposure and an addiction to the peppers flavor, if I were to venture a guess. You know you've hit the big leagues when you can take a table spoon in your mouth of the homemade and then without blinking an eye rest your spoon back on the table and say, pass the Kielbasa please.

Edited by Tyrus
  • Haha 1

In my area, the perfect crawfish dipping sauce has catsup and horseradish. A sprinkle of Worcestershire sauce won't hurt it either. It can't be too hot for me. I love fresh horseradish in a cocktail sauce. It's great with boiled shrimp too. The commercial wimpy stuff isn't allowed...can you spell Kraft?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Poochie said:

In my area, the perfect crawfish dipping sauce has catsup and horseradish. A sprinkle of Worcestershire sauce won't hurt it either. It can't be too hot for me. I love fresh horseradish in a cocktail sauce. It's great with boiled shrimp too. The commercial wimpy stuff isn't allowed...can you spell Kraft?

i've put wasabi in shrimp cocktail sauce. big surprise for unsuspecting diners.😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, David Chang said:

i've put wasabi in shrimp cocktail sauce. big surprise for unsuspecting diners.😇

Me, too!

@Poochie - make my own cocktail sauce as well. You can find decent stuff in a jar (Jon gave me some nice stuff in a gift box - sadly not available online), but it still doesn't compare to homemade.

• Like 2

Just received some Atomic Horseradish.  I’ll report back once we’ve tried it.

I have some experience with fresh horseradish.  It is a main component of the Passover Seder.  A chunk of horseradish on a small piece of unleavened bread (aka matzoh).  Nothing clears your sinuses better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

After all that I realized one of the best ingredients in a Bloody Mary is horseradish, it had to be told. The interest in the subject braindoc started stayed and so I drove to the Polish store some 15 miles away, this is what I found in the cooler/frig with a close to fresh as you may come by in a jar not grated by your own hand.

DSCF3837.JPG

• Like 3

Well if your looking for authentic you might think you were in Warsaw because they're all from the old country with a heavy accent. Aside from that the store is in Stoughton Mass near the T-Station off 138, but I believe it's a bit from your local. Everything in the store is from Poland or made authentically nearby, 12 different Kielbasa's, blood pudding and all the rest. The next one's in Boston in Southie, actually two...that is all braindoc, thanks for shakin the tree.

We tried the Atomic Horseradish as well as Beaver Extra Hot Horseradish.  The latter is OK heat wise, probably on a par with most of the good common brands.  The Atomic is very, very hot.  We’re quite happy with it.

BTW, Tyrus, I see the shop you’re talking about.  Maybe an hour’s drive from East Greenwich.  When we have a reason to head up that way - perhaps a Costco run to Avon - we’ll check it out.

My wife and I met here but neither of us are Rhode Islanders - we both grew up in Queens.   However, after a few decades here we have absorbed some Rhode Island traits.  In particular, the local aversion to driving more than 15 miles from home.  I’ve had patients ask why I don’t have a satellite office in Warwick because Providence is so far away.

About 4 years ago I was flown to Iowa for a few days of lecturing.  The attitudes about distances and driving there are so different from here!  I had forgotten what most of the country is like.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Road trip, road trip!

An activity scheduled for yesterday was cancelled so we decided not to go to the office.  Instead, we decided to check out Podhale’s.

First stop was Costco for some meat and three cases of wine.    🤷‍♂️  Great prices on some higher end bottles and their own Prosecco is a steal at under $8.

Podhale’s is small but packed with interesting Polish/Eastern Europe products.  We did some serious shopping there as well.

Thanks Tyrus.

• Like 2