braindoc

Copper cookware

P.S.  I did a shallow dive down the rabbit hole to understand more about why some copper pans are lined and others not.  The need for a high and even heat seems to be the reason for cooking polenta in an unlined copper pan.  Acidic foods react with copper but given polenta is not generally acidic, using a traditional unlined pan should not be a problem.  I avoid using my tin lined pans at high heat but use them for low and slow in the BBQ.  This is because tin melts at temps above 230C (450F).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tekobo said:

Hiya @braindoc.  It is heavy gauge and lined and they confirmed that it is used for polenta.  That said, I just googled copper polenta pots online and they look nothing like this one.  Oh well, it is lovely, whatever it's official use 

Here is a typical polenta pot, from Rameria Mazzetti:

image.jpeg.98938f86a7080a71cc4e2bfd14ff5b75.jpeg

I guess they can use that rondeau/casserole for polenta and lots of other things.

• Like 2

The pans are solid, and gorgeous with a subtle hammered finish.  

I do not believe the phrase “currency arbitrage” has appeared in these forums before.  Once we knew we were not going to Europe this fall I stopped paying attention to exchange rates.  I was surprised to see the euro fall below one dollar several weeks ago.

Rameria Mazzetti sells on Amazon under the name Bottega del Rame (literally copper workshop).  They also have their own website, https://www.rameria.com/ .  Prices are in dollars on the former, euro on the latter.  The Amazon prices include shipping, the website does not.  Even adding shipping costs, the website prices are noticeably lower.  Also, during checkout on the website 20% was taken off the price since US buyers do not have to pay the VAT.  I don’t know if that happens with a purchase through Amazon.

If anyone is thinking about copper cookware, this is a good time.  Mazzetti’s prices compare favorably to those of the artisans here in the states.

• Like 3

Those pots are for some serious cooking, once or twice a year I make a Kapusta (a Polish cabbage stew with meats and sauerkraut, etc), one of these is perfect. They appear to have a hammered finish, and the handles give them a strong imposing look. Definite winner in my book.

• Like 1

@jonj i want to ask you a dumb question since you have what i may be in the market for...

stainless steel lined copper cookware interests me because i have no clue where to re-tin and stainless steel handles also interest me because my household is used to cool touch handles. but everytime i look at them, doesn't the stainless steel negate the conductive properties of copper? am i basically buying into stainless cookware with a copper exterior? thanks jon. 

There are very weighty online discussions about that very question - some diatribes or polemics.  Most of our copper pans are tIn-lined.  However, out of curiosity and a weakness for good sales we bought some SS lined copper pans:  a Falk, a Mauviel, and a Made-In.

We are merely home cooks, but I’ll give you my unasked for nonscientific opinion.  (If this were the cantankerous now-defunct Chowhound or current Hungry Onion cookware forum, I would be hesitant to post this.)   They are wonderful.  It is nice not to worry about using too much heat or accidentally stirring with a metal utensil.  They heat up and cool down quickly.  They are attractive and hefty.  I’m sure there are measurable differences from tin-lined, but at least for us it isn’t noticeable.  My limited understanding is that the thin SS lining only slows heat transmission minimally.  What is missing is the sense of doing something a little more special when we cook with the tin-lined.  That, however, might be of no concern for others.

On a more esthetic note, I simply do not like the look of the stainless steel handles with copper.  The cast iron heat up slowly and have not been a huge issue.  Brass, however, is another story - hot within moments.

• Like 1

@David Chang, I'm late in responding, but what @braindoc posted is basically what I would say. I have no tin-lined copper pans, only nickel-lined or stainless. I chose not to go that route due to the use and care limitations of tin and don't find SS to negatively affect my cooking at all. Heat transfer / responsiveness is fine.

Most of my pans are older All-Clad (copper-aluminum-stainless steel hybrid) or Bourgeat (copper-stainless steel) with some other brands mixed in. I don't mind the stainless steel handle esthetic. I would strongly recommend not getting pieces with brass handles unless you are very, very diligent about using pot holders or leather sleeves; they are much worse than cast iron handles in allowing heat transfer directly to your hand. I have a few and even after a couple of decades of use, still (Still!!) manage to occasionally forget how hot they get, even over low heat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For some reason it seems that the Italians like the brass.  We have two from Rameria Mazzetti - in the middle row of the second photo - and a rectangular roasting pan from Navarini in the first photo.  To the left of that is a 50-year-old oval pan with brass handles from Bridge Kitchenware, beautifully refinished by Jim Hamann of East Coast Tinning/Duparquet Copper here in East Greenwich.

Tyrus, you should check out his website and take a ride down to see his stuff.  We have a couple of his new pans too.