KK787

First Brisket Advice

Looking for some advice on smoking my first brisket.  I’ve concentrated my attention on Harry Soo and Smoking Dad BBQ.  Harry dominates competitions on the Weber SmokeyMountain while SD has good info on the Komodo style grills.

Harry Soo …… I’ve set my KK up using his fire basket method for pork butts.  I’ve achieved awesome blue smoke for several hours with no kettle pots or foil pouches.  His method works fantastic.  Here is a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOctn85Y-n

Harry also recommends using 275 with a simple heat deflector. I know the WSM doesn’t produce as much radiant heat but what temp do you recommend for briskets?

SD BBQ technique with his Kamado Joe uses two deflector plates in order to run a hotter fire for  better smoke at 300.  It seems to keep the bottom of the brisket from getting tough.  He also uses a technique where he puts wood chips in through the ash tray door so he doesn’t have to disassembled his system mid cook.   

Question:

1.  Use 2 deflectors or 1?  If 1, position it it high or low?  I have the double drip pan, round drip pan, and pizza stone that can be used. 

2.  Temp for best results?

3.  I have a newer Kk with the rear gas burner insert door panel that I can put wood chips or chunks in to augment the smoke with out moving everything off.  Has anyone tried this technique?

Thanks for your help👍👍 

SD BBQ technique with his Kamado Joe uses two deflector plates in order to run a hotter fire for  better smoke at 300.  It seems to keep the bottom of the brisket from getting tough.  He also uses a technique where he puts wood chips in through the ash tray door so he doesn’t have to disassembled his system mid cook.   

Question:

1.  Use 2 deflectors or 1?  If 1, position it it high or low?  I have the double drip pan, round drip pan, and pizza stone that can be used. 

3.  I have a newer Kk with the rear has insert door panel that I can put wood chips or chunks in to augment the smoke with out moving everything off.  Have you tried this or know anyone who has?  

Harry Soo …… I’ve set my KK up using his fire basket method for pork butts.  I’ve achieved awesome blue smoke for several hours with no kettle pots or foil pouches.  His method works fantastic.  Here is 
Harry also recommends using 275 with a simple heat deflector. I know the WSM doesn’t produce as much radiant heat but what do you recommend for briskets?

Hi Dennis ……. Looking for some advice on smoking my first brisket.  I’ve concentrated my attention on Harry Soo and Smoking Dad BBQ.  Harry dominates competitions on the Weber SmokeyMountain while SD has good info on the Komodo style grills.

Harry Soo …… I’ve set my KK up using his fire basket method for pork butts.  I’ve achieved awesome blue smoke for several hours with no kettle pots or foil pouches.  His method works 
Harry also recommends using 275 with a simple heat deflector. I know the WSM doesn’t produce as much radiant heat but what do you recommend for briskets?

Question:

3.  I have a newer Kk with the rear has insert door panel that I can put wood chips or chunks in to augment the smoke with out moving everything off.  Have you tried this or know anyone who has?  

Thanks Dennis - appreciate your advice.

Question:

Thanks Dennis - appreciate your advice.

To add on to what cheesehead said, leaving the cover off the gas burner inlet I'd going to let in way more air then you'll need for a low and slow cook - you'd probably never get the temp down to 300°.

Your double drip pan will work fine as a deflector but it's worthwhile to try a cook without anything to deflect; the dripping meat juice hitting the hot coals can add some flavor.

Anything from 225° to 350° should be good; I adjust based on my target cook time. Of course, every piece of meat is different - I don't do brisket often but it cooks similar to pork Boston butts and it's very hard to estimate the stall. I've had "turbo butts" that didn't stall at all and got done at 4 am when my target completion time was 10 am and I've had them take until 2 or 3 pm when they did a long stall. For my recent overnight cooks, I've ran then say 200° overnight and upped the temperature in the morning if I hit a long staller.

The last 4 briskets I've done were at 240. I put it on with a drip pan under it, closed the lid, and didn't open it until it was done. No spritz, no basting, no butcher paper.  I put 'em on around 7pm and take them off when they reach 203.  I've had a great success using this method. I use a temperature controller for overnighters like this. 

I usually recommend watching the three videos by Aaron Franklin on You Tube. He uses a stick burner but most applies. I cook at 225-250. Rub of choice. Wrap (I use pink butcher’s paper) at about 160°-165°F. Continue cooking until probe tender (usually about 203°F for me). Wrap in a towel, stick in cooler for a minimum of 1 hr but I prefer at least 2 hrs. On my egg I do use the plate setter for indirect cooking on the KK I have a double bottom drip pan which is probably what I would consider using. My KK is new enough that I haven’t done a full packer on it yet. I have done lots of them on the egg (and while camping on a Traeger). 

• Like 1

First paper wrap when you get the color you want, not by temp and add tallow.  I think the most important part of a brisket cook is to wrap and hold in a cooler for at least 10 hours.. I often leave them 15 hours.. Redistributes the moisture.
Throwing a couple of bottles full of hot water in there  helps hold the heat.

• Like 1