Cheesehead_Griller

First Rotisserie Turkey - Tips Needed

We are having a neighborhood Halloween Party on Saturday. I offered to cook a turkey as practice for Thanksgiving. I am thinking of using the rotisserie. I set it up and prepared the KK last night. 

I was planning to smoke it for an hour or so at 250F and then bumping it up to 300-350F.  I have a Meater+ that I will use to monitor temp. 

What tips can you provide for my first rotisserie cook? (Coal placement, cook techniques, etc.)

Turkey specific suggestions? 

Do you have a basket splitter? I like to put the charcoal in the back half, so the rotisserie rotates in and out of the direct heat. I have a 23" KK, so my charcoal basket is round, which facilitates this arrangement. If you have one of the larger KKs with the oblong basket, then you'll have to Gerry rig up something else. Maybe just some foil to block the heat on the front half of the basket?

1 hour ago, tony b said:

Do you have a basket splitter? I like to put the charcoal in the back half, so the rotisserie rotates in and out of the direct heat. I have a 23" KK, so my charcoal basket is round, which facilitates this arrangement. If you have one of the larger KKs with the oblong basket, then you'll have to Gerry rig up something else. Maybe just some foil to block the heat on the front half of the basket?

I have a 32 so my basket is oval shaped. That isn't an option for me lol. I have been pondering how to do it aside from just placing the charcoal along the back. Not sure what I could use to take up the space. 

I used an disposable aluminum baking tray which had a bit more structural strength when I did a chicken on the rotisserie (32"). That worked well. I don't see a reason it would work for a turkey also. You could probably bend it in half to give you a deeper wall for the charcoal. And then further seal off any gaps that you want with foil.

E36215AA-3400-42F7-8276-7FE1CD991184_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.78ffec6b6569770bc7ad23e4036dcb9f.jpeg

Probably to late for any suggestions for this cook, but i do have some thoughts here. Wouldn’t setting up a rack with a foil pan underneath the bird also create and indirect cook? 

Years ago I was looking for alternatives to the deep fried turkey, I’m sure this method is also fun to cook (maybe a little more dangerous) and I’ve heard it taste great as well, I just always thought the oil requirements would be a waste as I wouldn’t likely reuse etc.

I came across a High Temperature Roast turkey recipe / technique in Cooks Illustrated. The basics are spatch cooking a 12-14lb bird, brining first in a simple water / salt brine, air drying in cold space for a day or so, making gravy separately from gizzards & Neck and making stuffing separately. The spatchcocked bird is than placed on a broiler pan that sits on top of a large disposable foil pan that is filled with your stuffing. Cooking in oven at 450 degrees F and is done in about 75 minutes. This has been my go to for years, even though I own KK’s!

In writing this I’m thinking if you use a foil pan to deflect the direct heat at some point you could also put a foil pan with your stuffing underneath the bird to collect all of those great drippings…..Maybe sort of a marriage of cooks illustrated and KK.

In any event I wish success to Cheesehead griller and and Happy Turkey day to everybody on the forum. I know Thanksgiving is always my favorite holiday of the year!!

• Like 2

So, the first attempt was a success. It started off rough but the end product was above average. The party-goers ate the whole bird. 

To begin, I placed a foil pan in the basket and put the lump around it. (As advised by others.) I seasoned the bird the night before and lightly salted the outside. The next day I installed the rotisserie and placed the bird in. KK was stabilized at 275F. 

I let it go for about 10-15 minutes and then walked away. My neighbor was over checking things out and he noticed a sound from the motor. We went to inspect and the bird had fallen out of the cradle. It was laying on the bottom of the KK in the foil pan with coals on it. We quickly cleaned things up and situated the bird in the cradle again. One of the tines came loose and let go. Not sure if it had to do with the heat or what.

It spun for a total of 4.5 hours. However, at the 3 hour mark I noticed the coals were getting low. I was hoping it would finish in time but it didn’t. I had to re-fuel the best and let it get back up to temp. I didn’t have time to get the bird hot enough to crisp the skin. It was a bit gummy. This was the only downside of the bird. 

The meat was super juicy and tasty. Even the breast. Overall, the rotisserie worked well and the end results were above average for my first time. 

Next time I will change the charcoal layout a bit. I will make a sideways L with the lump. Where the side of the L is I will place the breast towards that and the legs towards the other side. This will cook the breast a bit more so than the legs. 

Secondly, I will get the KK much hotter for the end of the cook. I just ran out of steam after the lump ran out. The drop in heat set me back a bit in terms of time so I couldn’t crisp it enough to my liking.

• Like 2

Yeah I could see with doing a turkey it would take longer to cook and use up the charcoal. With all grates out, it should be pretty easy to monitor that and add some lump as needed. Or, rig up something that is a bit deeper and can hold more lump. I've only tried the rotisserie once so I'm learning as well. I was thinking about trying to use some of the splitter pieces also to create a wall. But haven't thought too much about how yet.