Tyrus

Fall leaves suck.

Well they do, with dividends. Today I removed 12 barrels from the back and was so disappointed to see their return within 1/2 hour. Have no fear the end of the world isn't over quite yet, that small set back will soon be forgotten because tomorrow is brisket day. Trimmed out the brisket this morning and applied the seasoning for a dry brine of 24 hrs, I had wanted a wet brine but the Harry Soo method looked good for this 15.75lb full packer of choice quality. On for tomorrow, with hopes of a tasty moist brisket dancing in my head for kick off on Sunday. Now I did take a few shots of the brisket, where they went upon download I haven't a clue. I will try again in the morning, but heres a few of a beautiful Indian summer day in the northeast.  I wonder, do the leaves fall from the trees in Bali or Florida or Tahiti?

DSCF3890.JPG

DSCF3889.JPG

DSCF3891.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 hrs later, with these two rubs. Will have some water in the cooking chamber of the offset and as you see pictured some tallow remaining will also go into the chamber to melt and be used as a basting agent, also cooking fat side up. I hope the cooking Gods are with me today, choice briskets have a tendenacy to be dry and this one I fear is somewhat thin on the flat. Anyhow, once complete it will go into the cooler wrapped until tomorrow. I've never rested the brisket more than 4hrs, some say it's ok, how do you feel?

DSCF3898.JPG

• Like 2

I went over 4 hours on my last full brisket. It was still warm to the touch when I took it out of the cooler. Sliced super easy and separating the point from the flat was a breeze. I've read of folks advocating 8 hours or more resting time. I've never gone that long before, typically 2 hours. Just depends on when it finishes during the day. 

• Thanks 1

I put the meat on at 10:00 am, 7 and 1/2 hrs later it was off and in the cooler. The meat came off all jiggly/wiggly and the prospect of leaving it in the cooler until 1:00 pm the following day wasn't a consideration. I was hoping and expecting for a longer cook, it wasn't in the cards because the meat probed tender early, when it's done it's done. Three hours in cooler and pulled and placed in the frig overnight. I felt it this morning, praytell I really don't know what I was looking for, but it has to be warmed to serve at half time so it will be warmed slowly on the KK at a low temp. Well, that's that, I once did a brisket for some guests and it didn't cooperate at all, this one pops out early. This is one reason I don't do alot of briskets, they have a mind of their own, so we'll see, not what I was expecting.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So after all drama it actually was a text book brisket. Texture was on par, tenderness, taste and fold was really good and everyone liked it, however the bark could have been better. So if the 24 hr dry brining helped with holding in the moisture as well as using some tallow in the butcher paper wrap then it was successful. All done.

DSCF3899.JPG

DSCF3901.JPG

DSCF3900.JPG

• Like 6