Bunji

Any tips for setting up a jerky cook on a 32?

My KK is on the water and scheduled to make it to the states early next month! Of the many cooks I’m looking forward to, one near the top of my list is trying my hand at making some smoked jerky for an annual ice fishing trip in the early parts of next year. I’ve seen a couple of posts here on the topic. One (from 15 years ago if I recall correctly) was using grounding wire to hold a stack of extruded coal, with the idea as I understood it that as the lower coals burned down, the higher ones would fall into place so the fire wouldn’t spread in width.

Another user posted a YouTube video which I’ve watched many times in the past, but which I don’t believe went into much detail regarding setting up the coals and vents for holding temps around 170 or so. 

In theory, I suppose it should be possible to start as you would for any low and slow cook, but with the vents choked down more than you would normally. Is this correct, or are there additional considerations which need to be taken into account for cooking this low?

Thanks in advance, as always!

I've smoked jerky a few times. I place an old pan (meatloaf, pie, etc.) in the bottom and use just a few pieces of charcoal and wood in that pan. Gives better control of flame/temp. Also stay out of the wind. It can more or less pull a vacuum on the smoker making temp harder to control. YMMV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, David Chang said:

this reminds me to try to make biltong. i've only made jerky in a excalibur dehydrator but never on the kk. 

I have made biltong and droewors at home, had to find the lowest temperature dehydrator as I didn’t want to make a biltong box. Kitchen aid meat grinder/sausage attachment makes the dry sausage production possible. 

On other forums, I've seen folks cold smoking their beef for several hours to get the smoke flavor and then finishing in a dehydrator where conditions are easier to control. My dehydrator manufacturer recommends drying at 170° F. 

I haven't made any jerky since I got the cold smoker (I don't like it well enough to use $7.99/lb meat to make it); earlier batches were done all in the dehydrator but I'll try the pre-smoke then dehydrate if/when beef prices come down to a more reasonable level.

Has anyone used a device made to make cube steak to tenderize beef for jerky? I was looking at them before beef prices got so silly.

3 hours ago, jeffshoaf said:

Has anyone used a device made to make cube steak to tenderize beef for jerky?

Actually Jeff I pick through different cuts like bottom round or eye of round for something I'm comfortable with. These cuts really don't need any prep and they make the best Jerky if you slice against the grain IMO. I do have this cube fixed with about 100 little knives that plunges and retracts as you use it for tenderizing. I still use the Lang for Jerky, it has the room and smoke isn't a concern.

1 hour ago, Tyrus said:

Actually Jeff I pick through different cuts like bottom round or eye of round for something I'm comfortable with. These cuts really don't need any prep and they make the best Jerky if you slice against the grain IMO. I do have this cube fixed with about 100 little knives that plunges and retracts as you use it for tenderizing. I still use the Lang for Jerky, it has the room and smoke isn't a concern.

I use round as well as London broil but it's been $6.99 lb and up around here and I just can't bring myself to spend that much for beef for jerky.

So you use the cuber for jerky? Does it have a noticeble effect?

If there's any grit or tough tissue I just cut it out. I find if I slice against the grain like you would with the point of a brisket the pieces chew much better. The cuber does tenderize and helps with the marinating process for other cuts, but I haven't used it for Jerky, it is a thought though. That reminds me I still have a few bags in the freezer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tony b said:

I was actually looking at something like this; when I was looking I found several that were less pricey.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabelas-pro-series-manual-meat-cuber

• Confused 1

@johnnymnemonic Thanks! That’s the video I mentioned initially I believe! It’s been a bit since I watched it, but I don’t recall him talking too much about any particulars on how he set his KK up to hold that low temp. I do see that in the thread he mentioned that the temp was tricky, but implies that it’s mostly due to the mass and heat soaking. I’m guessing, due to the lack of any information suggesting otherwise, that he just set up like a normal low and slow and kept the airflow to a minimum.

@Paul, I apologize for not asking sooner about your method! how does putting the few coals in the pan at the bottom differ from using a few coals at the bottom of the basket?

5 hours ago, tony b said:

@jeffshoaf that link sent me to a professional machine that cost $150. Not sure that's the model you were talking about as being less expensive than the Jaccard at $28.

I meant less pricey than the machine I linked to, not the jaccard.

I had found a machine similar to that professional one for less $$ when I was looking before but it's been a few years and I don't remember where. Of course, it for have been that one and the price has gotten up. The one I was looking at could be set up with blades at two depths so you could cut the meat into strips and cube it in one pass.

Edited by jeffshoaf
  • Thanks 1

On 12/13/2022 at 7:47 PM, Bunji said:

I apologize for not asking sooner about your method! how does putting the few coals in the pan at the bottom differ from using a few coals at the bottom of the basket?

I just find it easier to place a pan down there on the basket handles rather than emptying out basket itself. 

On 12/13/2022 at 10:47 PM, Bunji said:

@johnnymnemonic Thanks! That’s the video I mentioned initially I believe!....

🤦‍♂️sorry @Bunji!  Looking forward to seeing how it goes with your first batch.  I haven't done Jerky yet on my KK and would love to try.  Was thinking of seeing if my Thermoworks Billows would work for that low of a temp.