Milton

G'day from Perth

Hi All,

I joined the KK forum a couple of months ago and felt it was time to say gidday and thanks for all of the fantastic info here.

After doing many many months of bbq research I just contacted Dennis and put down a deposit on a 32BB, matte black with all the accessories. Like most people in Australia I was a standard gasser man (WeberQ) but wanted to take my bbq to another level. Upgrading to a massive stainless steel bbq was not going to give me the flavour or flexibility I was looking for, and they look like a Kenworth bullbar smashing through your wall and visually unappealing. Then I discovered KK. Then I became obsessed - even without owning one!

The 32BB will be shipped to sunny West Australia around April 2023 to be installed in my new home renovation, currently under construction.  I have made room for the 32BB to be pride of place in the outdoor kitchen zone. I took a lot of design queues from the forum so thanks again.

I'll certainly share some pics of the KK when it is finally wheeled into position. Once it's all fired up I would also like to give back to the KK community by sharing some cooking results and recipes, maybe with a uniquely Australian flavour.

cheers, Milton

• Like 5

Congratulations!  I’m new to the Komodo world and just received my BB32 last month.

On a personal note we hosted an Aussie exchange student for many years.  He attended his senior year in high school and lived with us and we’re home base throughout  college.  He is from Bunbury which I believe is within a couple hours of you.  He is a great kid and we still stay in touch and hope to visit your area soon.  My extended family was headed there but Covid delayed out trip.

Hi Dirtman, thanks for the Aussie link. My profile pic was taken last week duing a short break 'down south', its the bay in Busselton looking across to the 3-mile jetty, just south of Bunbury. I live quite close to the beautiful beaches of Perth so suffice to say there will be no snow pics of my BB32.

Back in '96 before kids, my wife and I travelled the world and in the USA we bought a small Winnnebago with a 350 Chevy in Arizona. Before we made our way north through the Rockies and up to to Canada, the van salesman invited us to stay a couple of nights at his house in Fountain Hills AZ. When I saw that fountain I understood that Americans just do things bigger than everone else and it justified the 350 Chev in a camper van!

It must be a real thrill to see your BB arrive and do your first cooks. You are most welcome to visit anytime you're in WA.

• Like 1

Oh my gosh time flies!!! Yep I have finally started cooking so here is a quick recap on the journey to date.

The KK arrived in Perth mid August as planned however I had to store it a warehouse until our house build was finally completed late October. 

Moving into new house house and then taking over a new business collided to leave the KK sitting alone in the pallet in my yard until late November.

Christened my KK "Rosie" as in a whole lotta Rosie. Love my Accadacca, Bon was a local and its a whole lotta BBQ in matte black tiles.

First cook was a very simple rib steak over direct heat, went well however the flavour was bit off with slightly acrid smokiness. Quickly realised I had to get better quality charcoal and also let it breathe.

2nd cook was chicken fillet, very average result. Poor temperature control. Learner plates on the KK!

3rd cook, Christmas lunch for 15 people, rib eye roast x2, turkey roll, glazed ham. No pressure! Studied the KK forums, watched videos, better charcoal with splitter in, indirect cook, drip pan heat deflector + written plan = success. Moisture retention in the meat is incredible.

4th cook New Years Eve for 25+ people, indirect over 3 levels with beef roasts, turkey roll and beef ribs. Result was fair, learnt a lot.

Burn in. Actually did two burn ins spaced a couple of days apart as I could still smell the vapours after 1st burn in. No popping tiles just a couple of small raised areas with pressure cracks on the grout so relieved pressure with sharp blade.

5th cook pizza. More forum time. Nailed it.

Roadside chicken, either maryland or spatchcock next.

I love the wheels on the KK and how easily I can roll it up to the plate glass window outside the kitchen to keep an eye on the dial and get easy access when needed. Temperature control is AMAZING. Might be the dry heat of our climate but I find I dont have to open the bottom or top vents anywhere near the amount suggested on the forums to get it up to temp. Just climbs beautifully and holds at whatever temp I need. Typically 1/2 to 1 turn on the top vent gets the temp up and keeps the heat in. 

Everybody who sees it is just blown away. Not too many in Perth.

The only item I need is a 240 volt roti motor, having trouble sourcing one here and not sure about the brackets etc to match up with the KK.

Anyway that's a long post but I would really like to thank all of the forum members who contribute and helped me get off to flying start. 

Some pics from Perth. Let there be rock! 

Milton

20231026_180921.jpg

20231225_072018.jpg

20231225_112401.jpg

20231231_112451.jpg

20231231_112618.jpg

20231231_113734.jpg

20231231_113806.jpg

20231231_113822.jpg

20240104_184906.jpg

• Like 8