Poochie

Boneless whole ribeye- need advice

I was going to wing it and cook it like a brisket, but I thought I get the low down from people of experience.  This thing weighs 14 pounds and it's boneless.  I'm thinking 250 until right up to the end and then blasting it to get a crust. Will that work? I figure it'll take around 10 hours but I'm guessing.  Let the tips begin!

I've done several about half that size.  Rub of choice, then in refrigerator overnight. Next day it let rest on counter for 1 -2 hours to shed some of the chill while the KK heat sinks. Smoke at about 200-215°F grate temperature until roast center is 110°F (for rare) or 112°F (for medium rare). Pull and open the vents to get the KK up to about 500°F, then sear just above the charcoal for 1 - 1 1/2 minutes per side. Foil and towel then place in cooler to rest while center temperature reaches desired serving temperature. An 8 pound roast takes about 4 hours to reach 110-112° internal temperature, so 10 hours for your 14 pounder may be too long. But, like a brisket, it will hold in a cooler for several hours.

IMG_2165.thumb.JPG.f806098fbdb23ce1c10146946b8e192e.JPG

Edited by jonj
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, jonj said:

I've done several about half that size.  Rub of choice, then in refrigerator overnight. Next day it let rest on counter for 1 -2 hours to shed some of the chill while the KK heat sinks. Smoke at about 200-215°F grate temperature until roast center is 110°F (for rare) or 112°F (for medium rare). Pull and open the vents to get the KK up to about 500°F, then sear just above the charcoal for 1 - 1 1/2 minutes per side. Foil and towel then place in cooler to rest while center temperature reaches desired serving temperature. An 8 pound roast takes about 4 hours to reach 110-112° internal temperature, so 10 hours for your 14 pounder may be too long. But, like a brisket, it will hold in a cooler for several hours.

IMG_2165.thumb.JPG.f806098fbdb23ce1c10146946b8e192e.JPG

Thanks for the tips. Looks like 7 hours will be about right. I could take the easy way out and slice steaks from the beginning. But I think it’ll be juicier to cook it whole. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

Let the fun begin is right, hopefully someone who has done it before will chime in. Don't forget the pixs, Poochie, hopefully from start to the grand finish. :) 

That’s the game plan. I may be putting it on around 3am. I’ll save a steak for you. 

No sir. I want to slice “steaks” that are medium rare. 

Pooch to play beyond Jonj’s superb looking cook, I’ve found to slice a whole round of meat into reasonably thick steaks is near impossible while the meat is warm.
Maybe there’s two stages to your cook?
After spicing the outer edge, kiss it with smoke( and heat to crust the outer edge) from the KK while the meat is cold. Then re chill the meat before slicing it into steaks while you stoke up the fire.
It’s the cold fat in the protein that allows a cleaner slice.
Once it’s warm and rare, it’s wobbly and very difficult to slice evenly- even with the sharpest knife.
No one likes a wobbly rib!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I typically cook a couple boneless prime ribs for Christmas, this year it was two 8 pounders. About 3 hours to get an internal temp of 115 at 250 degrees dome temp. Then as already mentioned take off to rest and open vents up to get good flames and sear all around. I did the turkey first, then the roasts. I had to wait about 2 hours for the KK to cool down before i could cook the roasts. The turkey came out amazing, id rather have that rest for a few hours than having to rest the prime rib.

IMG_8126.jpeg

IMG_8139.jpeg

IMG_8138.jpeg

• Like 2

We did a ~10lb bone in for Christmas Eve this year.  Ran it a little bit higher (275) due to later start - indirect up to 130, then pulled and rested for a full hour, then seared 1-2 min a side at 600 on the lower grate.   

I have done a 16 lb boneless as well - I cut that into a 6 and a 10 so we could have the 10lb on the rarer side and the 6lb more done.

There is a ton of flexibility, a couple of things I would note to someone on a first run:

1 - pull it off to rest before “blasting it” at the end.  The KK takes long enough to go from 250-450f that its easy to either not get hot enough to get the crust or to drive right by your target temp

2 - a 25 degree difference in cooking temp can change the cook time substantially.  You can use this to your advantage if it seems like slow going.  But generally unless you are really holding it low (215-225 grate temp) it goes faster. 

Good luck - hope its goes well

CBB2E335-EBDA-4DE6-810F-824DE7BB1941.jpeg

7D3CDE17-666A-4240-8257-1E920FD20732.jpeg

057B5F48-8F76-43A6-8EBD-510207192C3F.jpeg

8E0448E9-6B1A-452D-884A-D961D0BA1727.jpeg

29B6EA74-A306-4346-8110-C8BA6F2D81A4.jpeg

0C46E213-148F-41F1-8484-AB3D8AB4A9BA.png

• Like 2

Another option for you to consider Poochie: before you put the meat in the KK you could give it an all round blast with a blow torch to get it all attractive and brown from the start. I think that a) has less risk of over cooking the meat at the edge because it will be cold at that stage and b) removes the need to jack the KK up to a high temp at the end of your cook.  

• Like 2