Seasport

Smoking Bacon

I’m a little late to this but after curing…I usually hot smoke at 225° to 150° IT. Many cold smoke for up to 24hrs (usually in 8 hr sessions) which I may try now that I have the cold smoke attachment for my KK (though to cold smoke, as you may know, you have to keep the temperature below 90°. Here in AZ that makes cold smoking impossible many months out of the year). Then refrigerate for a few days for the smoke to “mellow” before slicing. 

I’m doing my first ever Bacon smoke early next week. Following Meathead’s “Simple Bacon Recipe”. A friend of mine shared some with me and I thought it was very good so going to try this one out. Picked up a 8lb pork belly and started curing it yesterday. Before this I’m looking forward to smoking 3 racks of ribs on my 32” KK. Will use both the smoke pot and cold smoker until the ribs are cracking nicely on the bend test! Going to dry rub with Oakridge BBQ Dominator Sweet rib rub. Once cooled down going to vacuum seal and reheat via Sous Vide for a quick easy meal when in Canada on a fishing trip!  If I think of it I will send pics to the KK forum.

All the best,

• Like 2