brett

BBQ Guru replacement options

Still on my original KK (2006-era) - and my original BBQ Guru pit viper. Sadly my probes broke and BBQ Guru no longer makes probes for it as it's discontinued (4-pin round double-probe setup). 

It's probably time I upgraded my pit computer anyway...

For my use-case, I always use the guru for low and slow, but to be be honest - every time I've used it over the years  - I've wondered if it's really needed, as the KK is so stable once it's going. Perhaps a pit-manager is over complicated and all I really need is a high quality digital thermometer for pit and meat that I trust vs. the always approximate analog dome-gauge.

The only case I can make to stick with a pit-manager is the set & forget starting, as the guru controls the fan which can bring me perfectly to the right heat soak vs. remembering how far to crack the vent.

Poking around I see Fireboard and ThermoWorks devices mentioned more than BBQGuru. What would the group recommend in 2023 to replace my aged tech?

Flame Boss! Can't beat the cool name :)

That looks like a fairly direct replacement for the guru. At this point - I'm leaning towards trying something simpler like the Thermaworks Node. Hard to tell if some of the newer style probes like the Thermaworks Pro Probes would be small enough to pass through the little 1/2" or so probe-hole on side of the KK. 

47 minutes ago, brett said:

For my use-case, I always use the guru for low and slow, but to be be honest - every time I've used it over the years  - I've wondered if it's really needed, as the KK is so stable once it's going

Super cool that your 2006 KK is still going strong.  I am in the camp that does not see the need for a controller.  More things to plug in and more things to go wrong.  I have found my KKs to be rock solid on temp when they are dialled in and if some variation in fuel or wind causes a fluctuation in temperature it is never enough to cause me a concern.  

• Like 1

@brett - good to see some OGs still hanging around.

My old DigiQ-II (Guru) is still rocking on. I have replaced probes over the years, but even they seem to last a long time. Like you, I just like the "comfort" of setting everything up and just walking away and letting the Guru do the heavy lifting on really long cooks (over 3 or 4 hours.) 

Lots of good advice here on more-recent tech/gadgets. Good luck!

I loved my flameboss but HATED their probes, they were always falling apart. I switched to the fireboard pro last year, the product is great but i don't like their software all that much, i don't find it all that intuitive. It is needlessly over complicated, in my opinion. If i ever have a need to change again i'll go thermoworks.

I have the BBQ Guru cyberQ and the Thermoworks Signals/Bellows and external battery combo. I highly recommend the Thermoworks; I can't recommend the guru.

The Signals can be used as just a 4 probe remote thermometer with or without external power or you can add the Bellows fan to get temperature control; the fan requires external power via either the provided AC adapter or the optional battery. The fan moves a lot of air so it requires the optional damper when used with the KK. The battery in the signals will last over 24 hours; the extension battery week power the signals and the fan for a long time as week - I think I've gone 17 or 18 hours and it still had some charge. The signals displays all 4 probe settings at the same time locally or you can connect it to WiFi and monitor by their very nice all on your phone; optionally connect to the internet and you can monitor anywhere. You can set your alert temps on the signals unit or vids the app. You get high local alerts on the signals and remote alerts on you phone. The signals, Bellows, and battery are all water resistant - you can use then in the rain. My only non-nit picky complaint is they use standard USB connectors for everything but everything needs 12 VDC instead of standard USB 5VDC voltage; they do provide enough AC adapters to cover everything but you have to remember to use this instead of one of the many USB adapters you already have. Again, highly recommended!

The CyberQ requires external power via the included AC adapter. It has a one line backlit LCD display and membrane type buttons to configure it; these are painful to use due to the limited info that can be displayed and the poor tactile feedback from the buttons. It can be used stand-alone, but I'd only do that out of desperation due to the limited display and buttons. Once you connect to WiFi, you can use their cloud app to configure and monitor the unit from anywhere with any device via a web browser; this works ok but it comes with all the limitations of a web app and depends on you having an internet connection at all times. You get temp alerts via text and/or email and on the unit itself; this is a big issue for me since my main reason for using a remote thermometer and temp control is to do long overnight cooks - I don't want to check my phone every time I get a text or email while I'm trying to sleep to see whether it's an alert or just a regular text/email that can wait until morning. I've also had issues with the unit forgetting my network credentials when it goes unused for a while even tho it remembers the target and alert temps of my last cook - and even tho the unit has a local webserver you can connect to to do the network configuration, I've not been able to get it to actually get it connected to my network, leaving me too use the terrible UI on the device itself. Not recommended!

BBQ Guru does have a newer controller that is supposed to address a lot of these issues but they've had a lot of software issues, including some that made the unit unusable or useable but with issues that could ruin a cook. They also outsourced their firmware development and haven't been able to provide updates in a timely matter, even when an update breaks the unit.

I don't tend to rely on technical support much, but my customer support experience with high companies had been good - but I must caveat that statement by telling you that my last interaction with BBQ Guru was 7 or 8 years ago and may be different now.

Hope this epistle is helpful!

• Thanks 1

Both Thermoworks and BBQ Guru provide probes with a 90° bend that would not go thru my KK's port but I was able to straighten them enough to work by carefully bending them by sticking then in a space between the slats in my KK side shelves. Thermoworks does have straight probes available but I didn't check to see if they would swap them with the standard process when I ordered mine.

I’ve never used anything else for comparison. I have the Signals/Bellows as well and think the pairing is GREAT!!  Love the read anywhere app feature from my phone. Definitely agree with @jeffshoaf about the damper. The billows circulates way to much air for the KK without it. I open mine about 10% or less. Cooked a brisket a couple of weeks ago and it maintained an extremely consistent 270 for the entire cook. My temps are not as consistent as others have without the addition of a fan.  Could be something else, but I’ve written it off to the amount of wind I get.   Good luck. 

• Like 1

I use the ThermoWorks Signals/Billows/Battery pack combination when I use a controller and fan. I routinely use the Signals alone for temperature monitoring. I also use the ThermoWorks probes and temperature monitors for all indoor cooking, frying, sous vide, etc. as well so I just have one probe eco-system to deal with. The ThermoWorks probes are pretty tough. I've been using their stuff for well over a decade and my original probes still work.

The Signals monitor/alarm is (I think) my 3rd or 4th ThermoWorks outdoor electronics temperature monitoring system, not because of failure but due to product improvements. I think with Signals they now have an electronic system which works well for the various low/slow and medium temperature types of outdoor cooking I do and has sufficient bells and whistles to meet my needs. 

I have no affiliation with ThermoWorks; I just like their stuff. Finally, heed the comments about needing the damper for the Billows fan, if you decide to go that way. It is an essential piece for using the Billows with a KK.

On 2/6/2023 at 9:22 PM, Dono said:

Could be something else, but I’ve written it off to the amount of wind I get.

You are spot on in your reasoning. That's why we highly recommend using the damper on the fan units to choke down on the draft airflow and force the fan to do the heavy lifting. Strong winds blowing across the top damper create what's called "vacuum drag." It actually pulls more air through the damper than would naturally draft by itself, throwing off your dome temperatures (in the wrong/high direction!) Once the grill temperature is above your setpoint, the controller is pretty much useless at that point, as they can't lower the temperature; only increase it or maintain it. 

• Like 1

Brett, I had all kinds of issues with my BBQ Guru, switched to a Fireboard, and I have been very happy with it, FWIW. Also, it uploads your data through the Cloud, so you can access from anywhere as you go through your daily grind. With my BBQ  Guru, I had to be within range of my house. Just my experience, FWIW.

As mentioned earlier, i think that most of them are web based now. I'm using my Fireboard Pro today for a brisket (super bowl chili) and this is a screen shot of the web based app and a shot of the phone app on wi fi. I have it set at 235 and am waiting for it to heat soak a little more before putting the brisket in. I want it done late tonight so I can rest it for a few hours in the cooler before starting the chili in the morning. I always make my chili a day early, it's better the second day :) So nice out today !!!!!

App

image.thumb.png.a1236a3598426e7e366c3b1c19f2c1fe.png

Web

image.thumb.png.573fdebd2f0955995a9aaf37acc3dee2.png

• Like 1

You're so right. The thing I like best about the Fireboard - besides it works better for me than the Guru did- is that it connects through the internet and is accessible on your phone app from practically anywhere. The Guru, as I remember, is bluetooth with limited range.

Cooking an entire brisket to make your chili? Wow, you are hard-core. Love to hear your chili recipe: I used to compete in the chilli  cookoffs in Texas and Louisiana in the late 80's- early 90s. Pendery's in Fort Worth was my go-to for high quality spices and pure ground roast chile's.

• Like 1