Jkiss123

Need help getting above 450

I just got my KK set up and did a couple smokes. I have tried twice to get it up to 600 to do some pizzas and have not been able to get north of 450. I spoke with Dennis and he thought I was adding too much debris from the lump bag. So I tried again with select large pieces, and still cant get above 450...what am I doing wrong? I have a 23". 

Did you have the pizza stone or heat deflector in?  That significantly slows the air flow.  Try heat soaking the KK without those in place and see what temperature you can get to.  I have a 19" and there doesn't seem to be enough airflow around a 14" stone to reach very high temperatures.  If I pre-soak to 600, then put in the stone and give it time, I can roughly get there.  It won't stay there if I'm cooking 5+ pizzas, opening and closing the lid, though.  I was thinking that adding a temperature controller fan and leaving it blowing might help.  Interested in any advice!

What are your vent settings? Removing the guru plug significantly increases airflow from the bottom. Have you checked your thermometer? They can be faulty. The simplest is the boiling water test. What charcoal are you using? There are reasons that you’re not getting the temperature you want, but kks normally have no issue getting 700°+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've probably have done this, but open the "drawer" containing the air vents at the bottom and you'll get much more air flow. Once the temperature hits close to your goal, start closing the drawer until you're happy with the results. It can definitely get too hot (nuclear) if you leave it open too long. From the beginning, load up the coal basket the way Dennis instructed and light a chimney full of coals to sprinkle on top. Good luck.

Poochie - is there a thread about Dennis instructions on the best way to load up charcoal basket and lighting coals that I can read more about?

I have tried several methods and wondering about the best way?

Do people use the charcoal basket splitter/reducer if they don’t need a full basket length of cooking time? Or just always go with full basket and reuse unburned charcoal afterwards for another cook?

Hi @Mcdddy.  I almost always go with a full basket.  I re-jig the coals before my next cook, usually moving the partly burned charcoal to the middle and top and surrounding with fresh charcoal.  My lighting method varies and the only thing that remains constant is that I only light one location if I want to maintain low temperatures and 2 or 3 locations if I want a high temp cook.  

• Like 1

Always put the large chunks at the bottom then medium then the smaller stuff on top but never anything too small as it will prevent airflow. This is how i do it, some may disagree with my method but to each their own. And its no different when using the splitter.

IMG_6152.jpeg

IMG_6153.jpeg

IMG_6154.jpeg

IMG_6155.jpeg

i can only speak of the 19TT

but 450+  on the dial is just half a basket of charcoal fully lit

450+ heat soaked is the same as above but held for longer.

600+ on the baking stone is a full basket affair with a top up midway. i would also be inclined to heat a baking steel instead and see if that gets to temp faster.

Edited by David Chang
  • Like 1

I’ve had trouble getting higher temps if there is a lot of ash at the bottom. When I want to do high temp cooks I always clean out the ash

one other trick is quality fuel. I’ve had trouble getting high temps when using cheap lump charcoal. 

between those two things above it should sort you out 

Edited by Troble
  • Like 1