David Chang

KK duck hanger for the 19

so during my holiday in greece, i got an email from kk informing me the duck hanger for the 19 was available. naturally i pulled the trigger and when i came back it was already waiting for me in a box.

my initial concern was that there may not be enough clearance from the hanging bird to the coals. so i ignored dennis’ advice and bult the coals around the perimeter floor of the kk. so just to remind myself never go against the advice of the maker because i could not get the grill up to temp. this chicken took twice as long to cook and i went back to using the charcoal basket in the second half of the cook. 

so realistically this is for one bird in the middle hanger because there is no space to fit three chickens in a 19,  unless im doing something like long strips of meat. one of the hooks came loose so i think i will bring it to a metal shop to make some kind of permanent but swivel attachment. 

overall happy with it and will try to do a proper cantonese roast goose in the near future. but using my banked charcoal basket and not struggle with charcoal on the floor. 

0643082D-397C-42CC-9747-8C71D2977805.jpeg

2B799AE7-365E-4019-938E-6FFDF3728116.jpeg

C6EF4EF9-2CBC-428B-B1B1-68E948CA54D5.jpeg

5528C68A-BE29-4EFF-9341-EF21DF7B18CF.jpeg

1AF2F479-706C-4B0F-99FD-C257F1D9F154.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

@David Chang Have you tried making a roast duck yet? Hopefully you can share your experience. I received my duck hanger and am getting everything ready to make some Chinese style roast duck very soon. When I first saw it, I had the same concerns as you did. It looks like the duck will hang very low, just above the coals and the hooks are too close together. My other concern is the coals flaring up from the grease since it's so close - I'm worried the bottoms will get burnt before they're done.