BowtieBill

New member to the family

Hello gang,

Just placed our order for a 22" Beast. This will be going into a new BBQ island being constructed in our new home in Nampa, Idaho (Recent California escapee).

Ordered the Cobalt Blue tile Beast, along with a few accessories.

I have been lurking on here for a little while before ordering but hope to start participating soon.

A little about me, I have been Q'ing for many years, for home, parties, some catering, and Competitions. Started doing Comps in 2004. Was a Board Member of the CBBQA for quite a few years. I think I saw my first KK around 2008 or so, when a friend brought his KK to a Chris Lilly class that we (CBBQA) were putting on. Since then, I have always wanted one.

Most recently, I have been competing in SCA Steak Comps.

In addition to the KK, some of my current stable includes a Klose Family Reunion trailered pit, a Humphrey's Qubed Pint, a MGrills M16, Oklahoma Joes Rambler, 22" Weber Performer, 22" Weber Master-Touch, 18" WSM, and a few others. The Island will have the KK along with a 40" Blaze gasser.

Looking forward to learning a lot from all of you.

Bill

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Dono said:

Welcome and congrats!  Sounds like you have some serious bbq experience. I’ve heard good things about the Klose pits. You’re going to love your KK.  

Don

Thanks for the welcome Don. I hope to absorb all that KK experience you guys and gals have.

Klose pits are awesome. The welds look like a stack of dimes laid over. Very nice pits. Back in the day, I think they were the best out there. Now a days, there are quite a few offset pit manufacturers that are very good. But I will still consider another Klose if/when I decided to go bigger.

Bill

2 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Like Steve McQueen in the Great Escape I'm glad you made it out. Congrats on your new cooker, it should serve you well, and be a fine addition in both looks and performance.

Thanks Tyrus. Both my wife and I were born and raised in CA, so it was very hard to leave. And the area we lived in (Ventura County) is beautiful and a great place to live. But we do not see the State as a whole getting better anytime soon. Been up here in ID for a little over a year now, and just love it. Similar to where we were at, surrounded by farmland and mountains. It is a beautiful state.

I choose the KK for two reasons, looks and performance. Now that we are living in an area that is a bit colder than before, the extra insulation of the KK is a big plus. The Humphreys that I have is similar, it hardly notices the cold weather.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cheesehead_Griller said:

Welcome to the group! I look forward to seeing your setup. I have a 32" but strongly considered the 22" Beast on a mobile cart. Any ETA for delivery?

Thanks Cheesehead! I will post pics when finished. I wish I could have got a 32", super nice looking cookers. I just placed the order, says it is in stock in the US. But no mention of ETA yet. Hope it is soon.

Welcome to the Obsession, Bowtie! Looking forward to getting to know you and seeing your cooks. Your experience with all those other grills will jumpstart you in getting a handle on the KK. Once it arrives, sit down with a cooler of your favorite adult beverages and get to know your KK vent settings. Light a small fire (tennis ball size), just bump open the top vent off its seat and a 1" opening on the bottom (less sensitive) and see where it lands. After about 30 minutes, bump the top open a bit more and let it settle out again.  Keep doing this until you get to about 400F (about the limit for heating the KK up before venting it a very high temps - another day with a cooler of adult beverages - see the theme here! LOL). Around 300F you might need to bump the bottom vent open a tad more. Take notes until you get a feel for it as you cook more.

On 4/28/2023 at 10:14 AM, tony b said:

Welcome to the Obsession, Bowtie! Looking forward to getting to know you and seeing your cooks. Your experience with all those other grills will jumpstart you in getting a handle on the KK. Once it arrives, sit down with a cooler of your favorite adult beverages and get to know your KK vent settings. Light a small fire (tennis ball size), just bump open the top vent off its seat and a 1" opening on the bottom (less sensitive) and see where it lands. After about 30 minutes, bump the top open a bit more and let it settle out again.  Keep doing this until you get to about 400F (about the limit for heating the KK up before venting it a very high temps - another day with a cooler of adult beverages - see the theme here! LOL). Around 300F you might need to bump the bottom vent open a tad more. Take notes until you get a feel for it as you cook more.

Thank you Tony. I appreciate the info. Though following your directions, I will definitely have to pace myself. My favorite adult beverage is Margaritas, or sipping tequila. :)

Do you recommend doing this prior to the high heat/venting process? Hope that is the right terminology.