tony b

These folks are giving Naked Whiz a run for his money!

Not a bad testing setup and reviews. Can't complain about their results - Jealous Devil is my current "go to!" My only issues with their results are that they seemed to be OK with Cowboy, which most of us think is total crap charcoal, and they apparently don't know that BGE charcoal is actually Royal Oak (but to cut them some slack, Naked Whiz did a re-review of BGE a couple of years ago and said that they no longer say it's made by RO on the bags, but it most likely still is.) 

The Best Lump Charcoal, According to Our Extensive, Very Smoky Tests (msn.com)

• Like 1

I’ve been rather impressed with JD as well.   The local tractor supply put the remainder of their stock on sale several months ago (nobody told them WINTER is grilling season here in FL) and I bought a few hundred pounds.  

Still have about half of it because I have a fire in my fire pit almost every night through the winter and just harvest big chunks of charcoal from the fire to refill the grills.  Toss some nice chunks in the grills, close them up and let them snuff.  Free oak charcoal.  

… and yes - cowboy is the one of the worst charcoals I’ve used over the last 20-some years.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for posting this Tony, I had no idea Tractor Supply carried Jealous Devil. I just ordered a couple of bags to give it a try. That along with the 10 assorted bags of other brands I bought yesterday I should be set for awhile lol

Edited by C6Bill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was getting Wicked Good from Ace Hardware but they said it was discontinued. But they can still get Rockwood so I ordered 6 bags of that. I'll be trying Kamado Joe Big Block this weekend and I have several different bags of B&B but i'm not holding out much hope for those, I had been using B&B for a few weeks now and during my latest clean out found several nails and more than a few rocks. There was a local Backyard type store that always had a few pallets of good stuff but they seem to be pushing gas grills now so no more lump 

@C6Bill I used to LOVE Weekend Warrior from Wicked Good. But, when they had their fire and lost a lot of production capacity, it became too expensive to ship here; so the local BBQ store (same one where I get JD now), quit carrying it. While the ACE website would let me order it, it would cancel the order a couple of days later, saying it wasn't available.

Curious to see what you think of Rockwood. I've tried it, but moved on to FOGO and JD.

KJ Big Block is good stuff, but I can only get it via Amazon, so it tends to be pricey for me.

Don't think that I've ever tried any B&B, so no comments on that one.

@Firemonkey - nice score on the JD. I pay $30 for a bag here. 

I've used Rockwood many many times, i like it. Not was much as I liked Weekend Warrior but it is good stuff. I can get a discount at Ace so I'm under $1 a pound for Rockwood or B&B. And paying $39.99 for a 35 lb bag of JD sounds like a good deal to me. I'm really looking forward to trying that out.

Rockwood is good as well, but the cost was a little higher when I tried it.    Since you mentioned Wicked Good, JD does remind me some of Wicked Good competition blend.   I had a stash of some WG competition blend and weekend warrior years ago and there are some definite similarities in how it burns.   Its definitely more dense than RO, burns much longer and after a hot cook, there is noticeable more left in the basket.

• Like 1

Funny you mentioned a charcoal in review Tony, not two hours ago I looked up a lump called LumberJack produced out in Eastern Europe. Now it was described as coming from the Ukraine in one spot but the article said Hungary. So they ranked this lump with 5 stars in every catorgory, something they've never done for any charcoal. It's mostly odorless and burns long and is extrmely hot at 1074 degrees with generally all of the pieces of a consistent medium size with no large chunks. There are other charcoals here in the US called LumberJack but I don't belive they're of the same orign. Googling gave info on it, however Amazon listed it, but I couldn't find it there. It may be something worth pursuing, maybe not.....it all depends how far your rooted.

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 1

On 5/31/2023 at 9:39 PM, C6Bill said:

I was getting Wicked Good from Ace Hardware but they said it was discontinued. But they can still get Rockwood so I ordered 6 bags of that. I'll be trying Kamado Joe Big Block this weekend and I have several different bags of B&B but i'm not holding out much hope for those, I had been using B&B for a few weeks now and during my latest clean out found several nails and more than a few rocks. There was a local Backyard type store that always had a few pallets of good stuff but they seem to be pushing gas grills now so no more lump 

Man, I had no idea Wicked Good was discontinued! I got one bag from Ace last month and loved it, was looking forward to picking up some more

Funny you mentioned a charcoal in review Tony, not two hours ago I looked up a lump called LumberJack produced out in Eastern Europe. Now it was described as coming from the Ukraine in one spot but the article said Hungary. So they ranked this lump with 5 stars in every catorgory, something they've never done for any charcoal. It's mostly odorless and burns long and is extrmely hot at 1074 degrees with generally all of the pieces of a consistent medium size with no large chunks. There are other charcoals here in the US called LumberJack but I don't belive they're of the same orign. Googling gave info on it, however Amazon listed it, but I couldn't find it there. It may be something worth pursuing, maybe not.....it all depends how far your rooted.

Bought a bag of the Lumber Jack once based on this review. I didn’t have the same experience as the reviews. It wasn’t bad, but not worth the price point and was mostly medium chunks.

My go to is not usually in reviews anywhere, likely because it isn’t available in retail stores similar to KK’s. I mostly use https://kalamazoogourmet.com/products/kalamazoo-quebracho-charcoal/. It’s consistently very good. I also pick it up locally and don’t have the shipping costs…that could definitely change my mind on things if I had to factor that in every time.

My favorite I’ve ever cooked with was still the KK Coffee lump. It was a sad day when I burned through my last bag of it. I’m sure I’m a bit bias too, but I just really liked the flavor profile, especially for yard bird and whitefish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1