DennisLinkletter

Komodo Coconut Charcoal... Both cat's are out...

Re: Looks like the **other** extruded coconut charcoal

Haven't I seen your name on the list of soon-to-be recipients? If so' date=' my condolences.[/quote']

I did have my name on an order of Mexi extruded, but I canc. I...

Whew, that was close. Glad you weren't among the casualties. Some people have ordered 80 boxes of that stuff!

I guess the only thing worse than waiting for 18 mos for some charcoal is receiving it. Poor bastards, in a couple of weeks they'll be begging for the moldy stuff.

Re: Looks like the **other** extruded coconut charcoal

Looks like that **other** extruded coconut charcoal will be no competition at all.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag62.htm

And I thought Dennis was a putz for letting someone beat him to the market. I stand corrected.

I wouldn't have thought charcoal reviews could be so interesting! :) Excellent job, whiz.

(BTW, loved the original extruded coconut from this company even though it arrived in horrible condition.)

When can we get some!!! I have a bunch of the junk that Whiz tested and it sucks!!! :mad::mad:

I need better lump. :P

Rockdawg stated that although it was not as good as the previous lump and it probably had greater ash he still thought it better than most readily available lumps. Of course that opinion did not factor in the cost of his lump compared to the cost of readily available lump. Interesting that only one recipient of this lump has posted on the kamado forum regarding the quality and comparison issues since this has been brought into focus by TNW. I certainly do not doubt tkline or TNW.

More kitty info..

The delay in KK Coco charcoal is that I discovered that the other single K co. was not buying the best the company produced. There was a higher grade that was only previously sold to Japanese customers. The stuff that was originally tested by the Naked Whiz was their #2 quality and is the quality also sold to Australia and the EU.

So I took a pass on that and ordered up an extruded lump made from all granular carbon. Costs a pretty bit more but at least I know I'll have the best. Take a peek for yourself, I was very pleased that I could immediately SEE the difference.. Rather chunky if I do say so myself!

Burn/ash test inspired by the Naked Whiz

KKchunk.jpg

Chunk Coco

KKcoco2in.jpg

9" Bowl & 2" charcoal

KKCoco63gr.jpg

63 grams

KKCocoTorch.jpg

Easy to light

KKcocoAsh.jpg

Not much ash

KKcoco5Gr.jpg

5 grams to be exact..

;);)

Interesting stuff.

But, comparing your data with TNW's, the old CEL (#2 grade) outperformed this stuff in terms of ash production. It generated 10g of ash from 335g charcoal. Your new stuff generated 5g from 63g. Royal Oak produced 25g from 385g.

The posKlump generated 45g/335 and 60g/385 on two burns.

I'll let someone with a calculator do the long division, but it seems that this new stuff you're evaluating is in line with the RO in ash production.

Of course, until I get my hands on some and can do the exact same things in the same place and weigh on the same scale, yada yada yada... Then there is also the burntime to consider. I will look forward to being able to get a few boxes in retail packaging and doing a formal review. There's been a lot of focus on extruded coconut lately.

Maybe I gotta do more pushing at the factory..

Interesting stuff.

But, comparing your data with TNW's, the old CEL (#2 grade) outperformed this stuff in terms of ash production. It generated 10g of ash from 335g charcoal. Your new stuff generated 5g from 63g. Royal Oak produced 25g from 385g.

I'll let someone with a calculator do the long division, but it seems that this new stuff you're evaluating is in line with the RO in ash production.

I'll go burn another two.. This one was actually lit and had burned for a lil' while before I decided to go and weigh it. Maybe I gotta do more pushing at the factory..

;)

I'm not taking any chances that what I ship is not the best

Interesting stuff.

When I called to report the high-ish ash weight he asked if there were many unburned carbon granules which there were. I screened them out and removed almost 2 grams.. I need to burn much more to know exactly what the % is as my scale only shows full grams.

There is a new batch I'm waiting for samples and test results now. I'm not taking any chances that what I ship is not the best.

We all know about the supposed to be best and hot air!

I also just received a sample of mangrove charcoal.. it's highly praised by the Japanese.