DennisLinkletter

Komodo Coconut Charcoal... Both cat's are out...

what's the lastest on the good stuff ???

Sounds all too mysterious.

I was out this weekend (in the Los Angeles beach area) trying to find some lump. The only choices I found were "Big Green Egg" which I'm not to crazy about (but only used once to be fair) and "BBQ Galore Mesquite" which I will be trying for the first time tonight. With Ca. 8.25% sales tax it was $15 something for a 20lb bag.

Very large pieces in it. I prefer consistent small to medium size chunks to get a better (continuous and even) burn. This was my objection with the BGE lump as well. Very large and inconsistent size pieces. During my last 16 hr or so pork shoulder cook my fire almost went out about 10 hours in. Had to open up the cooker and stir the fire !! Very strange. This never happened with some 8 bags of Cowboy which had a much smaller and consistent chunk size. It also took more air with the BGE large size chucks.

Now this new bag of BBQ Galore has some really big chucks, like 3.5 inch dia by 8 inches long obvious tree branch big.

All this brings me to my point. What's the latest on Dennis's good stuff (extruded coconut) ??? Dennis ... Anyone ?? Is it on it's way, did I miss the shipment or has it been calcelled or ??

aV1j2iJi.jpg

Not sure about the status of Dennis' charcoal, but just some advice to handle anything you think is too big. Just bang it with a brick/rock/hammer/etc. Once its lump, its fragile and should easily break into smaller pieces.

Be sure to put it in a drip pan or something to catch all the small pieces first, if you are hitting it with a rock. I usually just bang two big pieces together over the grill, and let the pieces fall inside.

Royal Oak

Primo, I have been using Royal Oak from Wallyworld.

They always have a supply, and its 5 bucks and change for a bag.

Sometimes there are bigger pieces, but as previously mentioned by FM, it breaks easy. I have not had any issues with the fire dying.

I would like to try the extruded too, but havent found any around that is much good according to the reviews.